Question: What is your favorite brake controller?

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
I've always used tekonsha (sp?) prodigy - handles my 10k with ease. :D

Easy to adjust. It has boost levels for increased stopping power. Once you get her dialed in, you can increase the stopping power at the push of a button. Once I get up to speeds around 40, I bump up one level and once on the highway, go up again. IIRC, it just applies the trailer brakes earlier than the truck brakes. Makes stopping faster/easier and takes a lot off the truck's braking system.

When I get to slow speeds, press button to turn boost off.

Going to try the integrated controller in the 08 this summer (if the unit doesn't sell).

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
the prodidgy is fairly nice, we have them on all the trucks at work, and I've got one on my D-max no complaints.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
p3_large.jpg

Just over $100 on eBay. Easy to wire in - plug and play on our trucks with the appropriate harness.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
While it may not be the cream of the crop, I`ve had good luck with a Reese Heavy duty digital. You can set the power level for different trailers and the gain seperately. I`ve used it for my 5th wheel weighing in around 8500 and my 30 ft gooseneck hauling up to 20K and it has been flawless.

Feb 14, 2009
I have Tekonsha slide controllers on both of my trucks and they have offered good use and reliable operation.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
While it may not be the cream of the crop, I`ve had good luck with a Reese Heavy duty digital. You can set the power level for different trailers and the gain seperately. I`ve used it for my 5th wheel weighing in around 8500 and my 30 ft gooseneck hauling up to 20K and it has been flawless.

I've got one of those in my 98 I liked that one as well, it's a great controller for the price sub $50

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
One thing I've found with the slide unit (I'm not sure if it will work with the P3) is manually applying just the trailer brakes. Slide the control bar to desired pressure...like a brake pedal.

I will use this if some (insert adjective here) driver is riding their brakes in front of me going down a long grade. Most of the time I do this to keep the Alli from downshifting close to redline :eek:...some of those downshifts scare me.

Last edited:

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Kat, I was chatting with TrailerProPops at a Dyno day last summer about controllers. While the Prodigy seems to be the forum consensus for controllers (well except for the Brakesmart, but that is an entirely different zip code :rolleyes:) they seem to prefer something else. Can't remember what unit it was, maybe you should PM him and see - it is their business after all...:)

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Guy... go with the P3, you wont regret it ;)

Also yes whoever asked about manual brake control, the P3 has a slide lever on the bottom of it.

I sold mine on here a few months ago, I think Lonnie the guy building the 80s bodystyle dmax bought it. Never should of... POS LMM controller doesnt work.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a Prodigy in my truck (I got it before the P3 hit the market), and it has worked flawlessly. Dad has a P3 in his truck. It's nice, but sometimes the buttons stick which make it a PITA to adjust.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I have the p3 and it is nice. I got hosed on mine as I was 1300 miles from home and my other one took a dookie on me. But I am still happy

paoutdoorsman

Duramax Fan!
Mar 27, 2009
South Central PA
I've used several over the years. After trying a Prodigy I was hooked, and that's what I've used ever since. You'd love it. The P3 will handle more axles so it might depend on what you plan to tow.