What is safe RPM to turn

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So why under power is the redline 3250 but under grade braking it is 4800? Might be easier on the motor like I was saying earlier?
I believe this is why:
It is all sort of a moot point for a stock engine, as fuel and air run out well below 4800 RPM (I loose a significant amount of airflow by 3400 RPM according to my logs).
The stock turbo is too small for that much airflow, and the pulsewidth gets too big to keep smoke down. And GM didn't want much (if any) smoke from the stock duramax.

I spin my engine to 3600+ RPM once in a while, and even with 26 degrees timing and only 2200 uS pulsewidth it smokes like a freight train. The boost drops like crazy once I hit 3400 RPM, and anything above 3800 RPM just doesn't make much power, and I'm better off shifting to the next gear. So I would not be too surprised if this was the reason GM only fueled to 3250. But I could be wrong...

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
spin my engine to 3600+ RPM once in a while, and even with 26 degrees timing and only 2200 uS pulsewidth it smokes like a freight train. The boost drops like crazy once I hit 3400 RPM, and anything above 3800 RPM just doesn't make much power, and I'm better off shifting to the next gear. So I would not be too surprised if this was the reason GM only fueled to 3250. But I could be wrong...

I have pretty similiar results revving the piss out of 4th gear to keep out of 5th/6th. Boost drops, smoke increases, egts rise etc.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I've spun mine to 4500 numerous times with bone stock internals and no problems yet. But my charger will flow at that rpm. I am interested when I tear into it if there is any piston to valve contact. Josh spun his motor to 5200 rpms when his input shaft broke at the track with stock valve springs. There was kiss marks on all the pistons from the valves though:rofl:

But like everyone has said there is no reason to spin a stock charger that high. It wont do anything but build heat and overspeed the charger.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
i've pulled before and simply cuz i wasn't paying attention the motor was singing 4500 all the way down the track, a few times not that it made power there but wheel speed was up, and i've seen a flare to 5187, so i guess we could say it's not the end of the world don't do it on the regular but if it happens pulling out of the muck don't sweat it

Vasbinder

Dec 19, 2008
Floresville, Texas
Yep the PPE is messed up. I tried to log with it and it said to call them. So I'm just going to take it easy and leave it in drive and tow haul and Gett'r Done. Thanks for all the info to help this Noobie out.

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
My stock ZF6 LLY has seen 4800 many times, hell i spin it that hard backing up when plowing snow to get the speed up, Never had an issue, over 110,000 miles on it now.