What are you shooting for broadheads?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Time to buy some new ones, just seeing what you guys are shooting. Ive always shot the 3 blade fixed but thinking of trying something different.

wkinsley04

Jun 2, 2008
Morgantown, West Virginia
i've been shooting 90 grain 4 blade muzzy's for close to 15 years and they have yet to let me down. i have heard a lot of good things about the new rage broadheads. my cousin took a deer the other night with a 3 blade rage and it left a huge hole

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Fixed or expandable?

If you go with a fixed blade go with a set of silver flame broadheads. They are the shit. Made of the best steel and have the best edge of any broadhead I've seen. I shot a deer once, it went clean through and stuck in the ground on the other side. When I picked it up it could still cut hair. They are not cheap but are by far my favorite

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
3 blade fixed Muzzy's:thumb: I have tried a bunch of different broadheads in the past with no luck:rolleyes:, I figure if it isn't broke why fix it? Some of the new expandables look nice but are no better then a good fixed blade, IMHO..... Not to mention there almost double in cost...

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
175 gr match ammo but I'm going to start hand loading the new Hornady 208 gr A-Max for my .308 "precision" boom stick.

1000 yds beats 40 yds every time.... :thumb:

LOL

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
I really like the 2 blade Modoc broadheads I've been shooting. They are a fixed blade cut on contact and are 3 times the length as the width. The fly just like field tips. Another bonus is they are made here in Nampa, Idaho. I watched one sail right through a elk at about 30yds. It didn't hardly change the flight path of the arrow.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
...1000 yds beats 40 yds every time.... :thumb:

LOL

Not for me...my guns sit in the cabinet collecting dust :D

As far as broadheads...I have always shot Muzzy's (100gr and 125gr 3 blades, and 100gr 4 blades) with great success. I decided to try a mechanical broadhead this season just for an experiment. After alot of searching I chose the G5 Tekan II 2-blade due to the width of the cut-on-contact head and the design of head itself...even if the broadhead malfunctioned the deer would still be mortally wounded.
The buck I took this year was my test subject...25' up, 12yrd shot, quartering away ~55*, current setup produces 86lbs of KE iirc...arrow (Easton ST Axis 340) cut clean through a rib on entry, punctured one lung, knicked the other, exited tight under the shoulder, and stuck ~8" into the ground. The broadhead looks perfect other than a lost o-ring and a knick or two. The deer ran ~80yrds (the most of any deer I've harvested) with sparse blood. Mostly internal bleeding due to the lung hit, but I think I would have had more blood on the ground with a Muzzy. Next year I'm going back to the MX3's from Muzzy, just out of equipment confidence...I'll use the G5s for turkeys.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
3 blade muzzys for me also....I get them at a good discount seeing how my dad does ALL of the muzzy's 200 class reperductions:thumb:

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
Ive always used fixed 3 blade thunder heads but a buddy of mine uses rage broad heads and deer don't even stand a chance against those. They leave one heck of a hole and the deer don't make it very far.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I hear all these stories of people never loosing deer with muzzies. I have shot muzzies my whole life. I bet out of every 4 deer I shoot, I'll loose one due to a blood trail going dry.. Which really sucks ass! This year I switched to a 2 blade Rage, but have yet to see the results.

On a side note, My 270 has never let me down!:D

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Thought some of you guys might find this interesting...

I was flipping through the new issue of Bowhunting World and Chuck Adams' column caught my attention...he was advocating the use of Rage (and similar slip-cam design) broadheads and a release aid with string loop. He said this due to the new speed bows on the market and the forgiveness (or masking in many cases) of mechanical broadheads.
The release aid (and string loop) is a no-brainer for accuracy on a short ata bow...but he has always been a fingers shooter.

I stated my opinion on the broadhead subject...this was just two bits of advice I never thought from Chuck Adams.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
After seeing what the mechanical broadheads can do to a deer the last couple days Im impressed. They were on bolts though, but still they leave nasty holes. A 4 pointer got shot in the neck(deer was looking right at the guy) it ran maybe 10 yards & down it went. The other was a doe that was quartering away, bolt went in front of the left thigh, exited behind the right front shoulder & died 30 yards down the hill.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
Two blade rage gets my vote. Last year shot two deer with the fix three blade muzzy and could not find neither of them. This year with the two blade rage i have taken three deer, two does that did not go over 40 yards and a nice eight pointer the went maybe 100 yards. They get my vote.