Welding rigs

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
I have been doing mobile TIG welding for a while now and getting busy enough that i need to setup my truck with everything mounted in the bed or build a trailer. Getting tired of loading my truck up for a job then taking it back out once i get home. Just looking for pics of what you guys have. Kinda like the idea of mounting everything on a skid that i can take in and out of my bed easily, but also think a trailer would be nice. Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!!:thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Trailer would be ideal IMO. Most guys here build a custom flatbed if the put on the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
I'm leaning more to a trailer. I can set it up with a gang box up front, my miller bobcat after it leave some room for a compressor then on the back i have a 4'x5'x.5" welding table that i was thinking of mounting. just have to make sure it will fit in the garage. Wouldn't want it sitting outside all the time, I have trust issues with people lol.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Here's my 4' X 8' trailer with welder, torch and toolboxes etc. I had a service truck once, loved it but it was more insurance, tags, upkeep etc. Had a slide in unit I made and would set all this in the back of the truck with the skidsteer. All this was tight in the back of a pickup. The only drawback to that is if you need the welder a lot then you have to leave it in your truck, if you need your truck bed for other things you have to take welder out. It gets aggravating putting it in and taking it out. I don't use my portable welder near as much I used to, it's nice having it on a trailer because you can just hook up and go and move it around from place to place easily. I don't know how busy you are but I have had mine on a truck, trailer and a custom built skid and my vote is for trailer. Also if our power goes out I hook the generator part of the welder to the house so on the trailer is nice cause I can move it with the tractor and it doesn't matter if it's snowing etc. With it on the truck the truck would have to sit there with the welder hooked to house. You can tell from the dust it doesn't get used to often but it's there when I need it. I would want a little bigger trailer than 4' X 8' though, I done some trading for this one and don't have much in it is the only reason I am using it. The tires are a little over loaded being only 12".

Attachments

• IMG_7484.JPG
    IMG_7484.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7485.JPG
    IMG_7485.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 67

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
I'm not super busy, usually try to have a job lined up every saturday and a couple at night during the week. I also use my truck for way more than just welding. kinda hard to pull a gooseneck with all of it in the bed. Thats why i was thinking a skid but it would suck to take out all the time. If i do a trailer it would be 5' x 12', mostly because my bench is 5' wide and i have a good donor trailer i can cut and weld up to work for me. Thank you for your input. some of my buddies are saying do a trailer also. Any other suggestions you would do to make a trailer work better for you? I'm mostly using the bobcat to power my dynasty as i do mostly tig welding and thats why i want a bench on the back.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
If I could upload a picture from my phone I would but we took a reading bed with and converted it into a welding trailer . Its perfect has boxes and ladder/pipe rack still on it, and we made a bottle rack on the front of it for our cutting torches everything we need it for . just had a axle built for it mounted it underneath.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I'm just tubbed out (factory bed). My welder (Lincoln 300D) is across the back with a skid mounted with all the stands and leads....and oxy/cetelyne set up. Trailer would probably work best for you since it's only a weekend gig

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
I'm just tubbed out (factory bed). My welder (Lincoln 300D) is across the back with a skid mounted with all the stands and leads....and oxy/cetelyne set up. Trailer would probably work best for you since it's only a weekend gig

Ya i do machining and aerospace welding during the week. This is just a side job deal. Started it after i had a few people asking for me to do some tig welding for them and got the idea that there are not many mobile tig welders out there.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
All I would do is have a little bigger trailer and sounds like you got that already. I had a service body trailer as well once, it was nice with lots of storage it was just heavy.

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
Dont really care about weight. Might start looking to see if i can find an old service bed and use that. never really thought of using one but i like it.