Weird stuff inside my exhaust

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
So I took the tip off of my exhaust the other day to clean it up some and when I looked into the exhaust pipe I could see these shiny am bearish copper colored specks everywhere. At first I thought it was metal shavings but when I touch them they disintegrate. Any idea what this could be? Should I be worried? Here's a pic, sorry not the best quality

2d14w2w.jpg

Thanks,
Tano

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I would guess it's something from the material in your aftermarket exhaust, probably nothing to worry about. You could send a sample to a lab and see what they say. For peace of mind, maybe have your oil analyzed just to make sure there's no contaminants.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Not sure what it is:confused:

I don't know if it could possibly be burned up coolant or not, but next time you run the truck and it gets to operating temp, shut it down and give the upper radiator hose a squeeze, if it's hard, you have pressure entering the coolant system and possibly coolant getting into a cylinder, which would mean head gasket(s) :( whatever it is, it looks "heavy", enough so that it collects at the outside of the exhausts travel path there at that bend, and sticks to the exhaust pipe wall...

Just a guess:baby:

Good luck

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Not sure what it is:confused:

I don't know if it could possibly be burned up coolant or not, but next time you run the truck and it gets to operating temp, shut it down and give the upper radiator hose a squeeze, if it's hard, you have pressure entering the coolant system and possibly coolant getting into a cylinder, which would mean head gasket(s) :( whatever it is, it looks "heavy", enough so that it collects at the outside of the exhausts travel path there at that bend, and sticks to the exhaust pipe wall...

Just a guess:baby:

Good luck

Just stop talking Jason.

Everyones motor in every car will pressurize the cooling system when the motor is running. The problem is when it holds the pressure overnight.

OP headgaskets arent your issue

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
When I installed my 5" exhaust I noticed the same thing after a month or so of running it. Freaked at first thinking it was the turbine wheel but checked for play and everything was normal, I assumed it was just metal shavings from the exhaust manufacturer. Shouldn't need to worry.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Is the catalytic converter still on the truck? Looks like pieces from the outer wrapping of the catalyst. That's my only guess.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Just stop talking Jason.

Everyones motor in every car will pressurize the cooling system when the motor is running. The problem is when it holds the pressure overnight.

OP headgaskets arent your issue

Huh? I can squeeze the radiator hose down when the truck is running, let alone after it's off:confused:
So

Before I took your word for it and before I accepted my fate as an idiot on this subject, I went and drove my truck to get some fuel since your post. I drove for about 1/2 an hour, flogged er good too, left it running while I fueled, popped the hood and guess what

I COULD EASILY SQUEEZE THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE BETWEEN MY THUMB AND FOREFINGER AND THE HOSE WAS SOFT AND SUPPLE as I had suspected, if I had a gasket issue, that would not have been the case:hug:

I hate to start this pissing match, but I believe you are wrong, the coolant system should NEVER generate that kind of pressure, enough to make the upper radiator hose rock hard, or firm enough to withstand a full force grip? No, if that is happening its a head gasket.

What say you now?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Huh? I can squeeze the radiator hose down when the truck is running, let alone after it's off:confused:
So

Before I took your word for it and before I accepted my fate as an idiot on this subject, I went and drove my truck to get some fuel since your post. I drove for about 1/2 an hour, flogged er good too, left it running while I fueled, popped the hood and guess what

I COULD EASILY SQUEEZE THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE BETWEEN MY THUMB AND FOREFINGER AND THE HOSE WAS SOFT AND SUPPLE as I had suspected, if I had a gasket issue, that would not have been the case:hug:

I hate to start this pissing match, but I believe you are wrong, the coolant system should NEVER generate that kind of pressure, enough to make the upper radiator hose rock hard, or firm enough to withstand a full force grip? No, if that is happening its a head gasket.

What say you now?

You Sir are wrong! LOL When it is hot it will have 14-16 psi in it and the hose will be firm, if it stays that firm when the engine has cooled off overnight then you got an issue. if your is not firm when its hot then YOU got an issue lol. you may have a bad radiator cap. You may be able to squeeze upper hose but it should be alot firmer then when the system has cooled off completely.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yeah but when it is hot it will have 14-16 psi in it and the hose will be firm, if it stays that firm when the engine has cooled off overnight then you got an issue. if your is not firm when its hot then YOU got an issue lol

My cap is fine, the coolant system is in perfect condition. 14-16 psi is not allot of pressure and is far from enough to keep the hose hard enough to withstand a firm grip...but I agree if pressure remains in the coolant system after the truck has been off for a while, there's a problem

What is considered to be "hot"? The gauge read about 200* when I tried

Maybe my truck has had an issue for the last two years and 30k miles:eek:

:confused:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
squeezing the radiator hose is not a "fool proof" diag system. you guys gotta get off that. there are so many other factors that play into it as well that lead you down a "bad HG" on a truck.

everyones version of "stiff" is different (thats what she said). i can squeeze my upper radiator hose together after running the piss out of the truck too but there is a decent amount of resistance to do it compared to a truck thats dead cold from sitting over night. at that point, there is next to no resistance to do so.

if your not pissing coolant out the radiator cap, eating coolant, or overheating, quite worrying about the damn hose. even if pressure is in the system after sitting over night, its not a "oh shit, i got bad HGs!!! run for the fricken hills! shits goin down! im gunna die!" blah blah blah. so much more to test still

OP, that looks like gold in your exhaust from the pics, id sure as hell try to get it out. maybe you got a gold producing truck :D. but seriously, i wouldnt worry about it.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I wouldn't describe a rad hose as "soft and supple" even when its not under pressure. Unless you're the Hulk, 5 to 10psi on a hose is going to feel firm. Yes you can still squeeze it, but don't try with all your might to do so.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I wouldn't describe a rad hose as "soft and supple" even when its not under pressure. Unless you're the Hulk, 5 to 10psi on a hose is going to feel firm. Yes you can still squeeze it, but don't try with all your might to do so.

Lol

HULK SMAAAAAASSSSHHHHHH

:joker:

Like I said, I could depress the hose between my thumb, middle and forefinger....I have seen one bad HG and the radiator hose was so hard it could not be compressed by squeezing, that's where I was coming from.

I originally said it was just a guess/ thought, geeez guys:rolleyes:

Tano, good luck buddy:thumb:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Since ALL THE EXPURTS have chimed in on this mystery I too want to put my .02 cents in! :D

If the particles disenigrate when touched and that far down stream in the exhaust I'd just say it's soot and forgetaboutit! It isnt from your cat as you don't have one being a 01. IIR cats came in 2002 on federal and Cali emission trucks. IF I RECALL WAS A LONG TIME AGO THO! Maybe hot cocoal can confirm.:confused:

One thing for sure it isn't a head gasket!