weird popping coming from front end

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
For the last month i've been trying to track down this noise i have it sounds like something binding then popping loose kinda noise(hard to explain). It will only do it at low speeds when turning and hitting or letting off the brakes or changing from drive to reverse. So i replaced my calipers, pads, hardware ect on the front brakes thinking it was my old brakes no change still does it checked hubs and balljoints no play in any of them. I also checked to see if my cognito braces see if they were binding up nothing. It wont make the noise unless the truck is moving so my next thought is my cv's? anyone else have this issue or think its the cv's?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Did you use a bar to apply plenty of force to the balljoints ect? Many times they can be bad but not show play without considerable force. Also, suspect the wheel bearing,they can do odd things when they go out.

rulonjj

Mar 14, 2009
I've been having this same noise for about 20,000 miles now. I just replaced the cv axles and nothing changed. I'm wondering if its the bushings that are in the lower A-arms where it connects to the frame

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I know the noise all o well and I know when I grease up the suspension it goes away so IMO it's steering related either worn pitman/ idler or tierods

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
There is also a post over on DP that talks about a few of these items. Some have found that the bushings on the torsion bars were worn out and the problem went away once replaced.

I have the same problem (or sounds similar anyway). I usually get it when backing and turning from a parking spot. I haven't been able to find mine yet either.

Good luck and keep us informed if you figure it out!

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
There is also a post over on DP that talks about a few of these items. Some have found that the bushings on the torsion bars were worn out and the problem went away once replaced.

I have the same problem (or sounds similar anyway). I usually get it when backing and turning from a parking spot. I haven't been able to find mine yet either.

Good luck and keep us informed if you figure it out!

My blazer use to do that till I replaced the upper control arm bushings they were completely shot.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
My bushings are new on the torsion bar bracket and my upper control arms bushings are also new with my cognito ucas and hubs are actually new to only like 10-15 k miles on them the steering shaft is good to lol I'm down to CV's or maybe bushings in the lower control arm?

I was also thinking a steering box but that should pop worse trying to steer when stopped

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Another big one most miss is the front body mounts. they cause alot of popping under the very same circumstances and it seems to be a common thing. mine do it over certain speed bumps or holes in the road. you feel it in the floor boards and cab when it pops

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im pretty sure honda rider has it rite,a buddy of mine is a gm tech and mine was popping and i asked what the helll it was and he said the steering shaft,i changed mine and a friends 03 and they both went away.

there are many different things that can cause a "pop" on a dmax. without being present with the truck, its very hard to say the exact cause ;)

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
there are many different things that can cause a "pop" on a dmax. without being present with the truck, its very hard to say the exact cause ;)

well come visit bring your beast up :D i had the updated steering shaft put but i guess thats been 100k ago i can watch it an see no flex or binding when someone else turns the wheel also no noise so

and maybe i should get some new body mounts they are old there not loose but they are worn

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well come visit bring your beast up :D i had the updated steering shaft put but i guess thats been 100k ago i can watch it an see no flex or binding when someone else turns the wheel also no noise so

and maybe i should get some new body mounts they are old there not loose but they are worn

lol if the sami would make it that far, i would take you up on that but i doubt i could make it to the state line :eek:. the body mounts wont "feel" loose if you try to move them yourself, its only when the body flexes they "pop". Are your shock bushings still good? are the bolts tight?

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
Have you checked your alignment cams for movement? I had a noise sounded like a spring being compressed then released with a pop, sometimes loud. I checked everything and greased the entire front end. Finally noticed a small shiny spot at the alignment cam.

paytonlb7

Owner at Torq Industries
Jul 16, 2010
Idaho
www.torq-industries.com
I had a noise like this a while back, mostly when stopping and moving again, pissed me off because i checked everything as well. It turned out to be my output shaft popping. I pulled my drive shaft and greased it up then it went away.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
Have you checked your alignment cams for movement? I had a noise sounded like a spring being compressed then released with a pop, sometimes loud. I checked everything and greased the entire front end. Finally noticed a small shiny spot at the alignment cam.

You talking the upper control arm bolts the alignment thingyson there cause there is a shiny spot ill have to double check them and Payton the noise isn't coming from that far back but couldn't hurt to pull it out an see, hows your truck running? You or bracken want to buy my tranny?? :D