waterpump died at 30 000 miles

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Hi,

When I did my heaadgaskets 3 years ago I also put in a new waterpump, welded unit from a appreciated seller.

But now, after only 30 000miles it'S already leaking from the weap hole.
Im pissed, especially since I did coolant replacements every year.

Is there any ways to prevent this again? First pump lasted 250 000miles

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You could start by not changing your coolant every year. That's just a waste of time and money. Long life coolant is good for at least 3 - 5 years. If you're really worried about it's condition use test strips to check it or maybe toss a little DCA in it once a year.

Second unless you're spinning really high rpm's I wouldn't bother with a welded pump. A stock AC Delco will work just fine for you.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I flush because I have to take the radiator off every year to clean the debris between the stack.

Good comment on the welded pump. I put this "upgrade" because why not. But my truck never sees 2500 rpm with our low speed limits. They probably precooked the seals by welding it....

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You could start by not changing your coolant every year. That's just a waste of time and money. Long life coolant is good for at least 3 - 5 years. If you're really worried about it's condition use test strips to check it or maybe toss a little DCA in it once a year.

Second unless you're spinning really high rpm's I wouldn't bother with a welded pump. A stock AC Delco will work just fine for you.

X2. We install oem acdelco pumps. Use to weld them until last year. Gm must have changed manufacturers cause the newer ones don't weld worth a crap. Never had 1 failure.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I flush because I have to take the radiator off every year to clean the debris between the stack.

Good comment on the welded pump. I put this "upgrade" because why not. But my truck never sees 2500 rpm with our low speed limits. They probably precooked the seals by welding it....

What seals,?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What seals,?

I think they mean between the gear and the impeller. I read a recent thread about welding pumps where a couple guys said they put wet towels around the gear when they're welding it so the heat didnt transfer down the shaft and wreck the seal.

I personally would rather pin the gear than weld it. But thats me.

LML Cajun

Nov 7, 2015
Opelousas, La
My original water pump started leaking at about 245,000 mi. Decided to install a welded water pump and new GM thermostats and Mishimoto coolant hoses. BIG MISTAKE! After about 5000 miles truck started to overheat. spent a small fortune trying to trouble shoot changing thermostats and what not noticed that only the engine would get hot and not the radiator decided to remove the welded pump and found the impeller spinning on the shaft! Needless to say I installed a GM water pump and have been trouble free since.

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
Veikra- That sucks. I Just finished doing the head gaskets on my LLY. Watched your youtube videos for help along the way. There was nothing wrong with my old water pump (115000 miles), but I replaced it with a welded pump anyways because it seemed like everyone else was. Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. I might have just left the old one alone. What pump are you putting in now?

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Yes, huge mistake, I bought a ac delco and will be putting in the truck soon. My videos on the duramax were crap, cold garage and get 'er was more important. People don't realise the amount of extra time it takes to video stuff.

So yeah, factory AC DELCO one this time ! Comes from dealer through his pricing so I don'T get robbed either :)

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting the solution. Did you end up changing pumps out or figure it out before you made it that far?

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I was at the bolts of the water pump, fan idler out, crank pulley off. When I felt for the bolts I felt wetness higher up and it led me to the rusty looking tube which I pulled off to weld , and saw the oring was ugly and hardened throughout the years. It was leaking at the backside or the engine side and not the visible side when looking at it.

So I have a spare genuine ac delco water pump if anyone is interested locally. Or ill put it in at 700 000 miles or 1 000 000km :rofl: