"Water in Fuel" HELP

Ltsheets

Feb 7, 2013
Man when it rains it pours! I was driving to work today and got the "water in fuel service required" message on my truck. It's now parked outside and I'm not sure what to do. I'm so irritate right now as I've been trying to decide what to do with the DEF system to the point I'm calling the dealer this morning about it. I filled the truck up yesterday at a fuel station I use almost every time and have done so for the last few years. Thoughts??

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Drain fuel/water separater into a glass jar and let it sit and see if there really is water when it separates. Change filter would be a high priority as well. That all being said the WIF sensors have never been accurate. Wires on mine broke and never let me know. Removed and said f it

Ltsheets

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah I'm thinking draining the separator is probably the first thing to do. Gotta love that it's 32 degrees and snowing right now outside. Great weather for this to happen!

Ltsheets

Feb 7, 2013
Well I think I found the issue. I first drained some fuel to let it sit and it ended up being plenty clean, not a drop of water. What I found was that the two wires coming out of the bottom of the water/fuel sensor were bare right at the plastic. This morning we had a very wet due to snow so I'm thinking it shorted the sensor causing the warning to pop up. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you have the same code pop.

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I've always wondered how well the water separator in those filters actually work, I have never once shown a drop when draining it.

milocka

Mar 11, 2016
So my truck has a CAT adapter and filter setup, no Racor filter anymore. Essentially I don't have any WIF protection. Is this a big deal and should I go back to the stock Separator/filter setup? Pretty "good" diesel where I live.

collinsX

On a Time Out
Mar 30, 2017
Well I think I found the issue. I first drained some fuel to let it sit and it ended up being plenty clean, not a drop of water. What I found was that the two wires coming out of the bottom of the water/fuel sensor were bare right at the plastic. This morning we had a very wet due to snow so I'm thinking it shorted the sensor causing the warning to pop up. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you have the same code pop.

Same thing on buddy's truck, those wires are worth checking first.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
So my truck has a CAT adapter and filter setup, no Racor filter anymore. Essentially I don't have any WIF protection. Is this a big deal and should I go back to the stock Separator/filter setup? Pretty "good" diesel where I live.

If you run water through your fuel system it could take out your fuel system. I would never not have some sort of water separator on a diesel engine. It doesn't matter how good the fuel in your areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bigcat99

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I think wix has a filter that has a bowl on the bottom but unsure of if it works on the cat adaptor or not. Before Mike passed away I'd have recommended ask him because I think he ran one. But I agree with Dozer...always some form of water separater on a diesel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ltsheets

Feb 7, 2013
Well I thought I had it fixed but apparently not. I'm still getting the water in fuel message even though when I checked the fuel in a glass, there was no water in the fuel. What else could be causing this message??

04Max

Jul 6, 2009
Florida
Just unplug the water sensor. The water in fuel message will go away. The sensor switch closes the circuit to ground. There is a short in wiring. Check for exposed wires.This is not complicated. Ground to wire, message turns on. No ground no message. There are two wires going to sensor. One goes to ground The other goes to wiring harness top of motor. Check for ground on wire going to wiring harness. You have already determined that there is no water in fuel so no problem there.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Run a Donaldson p553203 filter. You can also run the clear bowl on the bottom. Just make sure you use the supplied oring that comes with it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

milocka

Mar 11, 2016
Run a Donaldson p553203 filter. You can also run the clear bowl on the bottom. Just make sure you use the supplied oring that comes with it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks! Looks like the Donaldson can be had for 1/2 the price of the Racor.