Want to have a $50 Matco 88?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
So as some of you know the company that makes Matco (Danaher) also makes Gearwrench and Armstrong. Any of the GW or Armstrong 60 tooth ratchets without a quick release will accept Matco 88 guts. I have this in my 3/8" GW 81211 ratchet for work because I don't want testing fluid all over my good tools. I don't use my 1/2" or 1/4' at work and they are real Matco 88s anyway but I do know that they will work in 1/4" and 1/2" Danaher ratchets. The part number for the 3/8" kit is BFR8TK and your Matco guy should have them on his truck for about $20.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I can post pictures if you guys want on how to do this. Real simple and the Matco kit comes with instructions.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Well that's cool. The ratchet is $30 free shipping on Amazon.com and $29 at Advance auto. It works on the 1/4" too from what I read on garagejournal.com ?

Last edited:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Well that's cool. The ratchet is $30 free shipping on Amazon.com and $29 at Advance auto. It works on the 1/4" too from what I read on garagejournal.com ?

It will work on any 60 tooth danaher ratchrt without a quick release.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I believe it will work with the flex head ratchets as well.

As I stated it will work on any 60 tooth without quick release (that includes flex heads).
If you call Matco's main line they will give you the dealer for your local area and you can just give him a call and meet up with him.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I was at sears yesterday looking to see if they had the gearwrench ratchets. I noticed that one of the craftsman ratchets looked exactly the same as the gearwrench and matco. HHHMMMMm I wonder. oh, wait, they were 84 tooth. So you might as well get the matco or gearwrench and swap innards.:)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I was at sears yesterday looking to see if they had the gearwrench ratchets. I noticed that one of the craftsman ratchets looked exactly the same as the gearwrench and matco. HHHMMMMm I wonder. oh, wait, they were 84 tooth. So you might as well get the matco or gearwrench and swap innards.:)

I don't know who craftsman is made by now but I'm pretty sure its not danaher.60 tooth danaher is what you need to do the swap.

Darius6t9

Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I don't know who craftsman is made by now but I'm pretty sure its not danaher.60 tooth danaher is what you need to do the swap.

Yeah. I just noticed that the outside of the head looked about the same. But it's kinda a moot point. Since it is an 84 tooth ratchet.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
God i hate the craftsmans the farms shop has. theres like 4 teeth on them. Love me REAL 88 locking flexs.

Do these other companies offer locking flex heads or no?

Matco guy lives .5 miles down the road, Snap-On guy lives 1.5 miles down the road. Its bad, its real bad.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
They are made by Danaher.

Just looked and you are right. I don't believe they'll work for this. As stated gearwrench or Armstrong. I agree Vinny craftsman is pure shit. I think gearwrench might make a locking flexhead. I dunno cos I use the real 88s on the trucks too haha. Just figured is post this as it's a neat trick to upgrade your beater ratchets.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Well I'm doing good so far. Went to Advance to pick up mine and they couldn't find it. Guy at the counter said " I have one I've used once. Give me $20 for it ?" I did, so now I'm in to have a $40 Matco 88 :thumb:

Darius6t9

Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Talked to the matco dealer yesterday. She knows about that trick and won't sell me the kit.:mad: I asked her how much it was, that was all I said. She told me that there is no point in telling me because the 88's are warrantied. And she knows about the trick of swapping guts. And she won't sell me the parts.:mad::mad::mad:

Time to find another Matco dealer.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Talked to the matco dealer yesterday. She knows about that trick and won't sell me the kit.:mad: I asked her how much it was, that was all I said. She told me that there is no point in telling me because the 88's are warrantied. And she knows about the trick of swapping guts. And she won't sell me the parts.:mad::mad::mad:

Time to find another Matco dealer.

That doesn't make any sense. She just lost a sale. I would have just said you want to upgrade one of your 60 tooth Matco ratchets. Matco comes by our shop tomorrow.