LLY: VVT unison ring

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
Was wondering if there is any options for replacement unison rings. I am dealing with a buddy of mine whose turbo has locked up do to rust. He doesnt mind replacing the turbo but doesn't want to deal with this issue again in a few years. He doesn't drive the truck much except to tow his camper a few times a year. I was considering bumping him up to the next stage up vvt from garrett but dont want to sell him a turbo that will repeat this problem. He was interested in doing a rebuild if parts are available. He has a buddy that does laser cutting and could have a duplicate of the stock one made from stainless steel. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys.

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
I would just take it apart and clean everything well, this doesn't happen that often on a Duramax. It would be much cheaper if he would just drive the truck once and a while to cycle the vanes.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
It happens often enough, atleast up here in the n east. We do probably 12 turbos a year. i agree on the driving habits. I try to tell these people this but they just refuse to listen.