LBZ: VVT Sensor wiring?

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
hello all,
new to the forum, I've been reading through other peoples headaches with this demonic sensor problem. checked out the pin diagrams for the ecm and what not. just trying to pinpoint this before I start throwing cash at it. I recently picked the truck up at an auction not running for a deal I literally could not pass up. I've wanted this truck for years now. well some body had gotten a little wild with "speaker wire" and main harness wires from the ECM that were rubbed raw. I have gone through everything from start to finish on that side of it replacing with factory colored and sealed wire.

well... now the truck is running and driving I keep getting the P2564 code, thinking ah its just a sensor I swapped it out. no fix. I can hear the vanes sweeping each time I clear the codes but they act like they aren't getting signal from the sensor. so after researching I found in the pin diagram that #20 is my wire "yellow". now after this long post my question is which of the three on the sensor pigtail is it? none of them ohm out nor match colors with it. I figured one is power one is ground one is signal, but none of them have power on them and im not getting any resistance back which leads me to believe I have a bad/broken wire somewhere. my train of thought is to figure out which wire does what, make my own pig tail into the ecm temporarily for them and see what happens.
can anyone shed some light on the 3 wire functions for the VVTS?

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post again guys ive crammed my scenario into one post to help with as much info as I can

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
update:
orange/black on factory connector to the sensor ohms out to ground, im assuming the yellow wire is the one running back to the ecm. now just gotta figure out what kind of voltage for power this thing needs and we are cookin with fire!!
will keep everyone posted of results

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yellow is the signal from the sensor to the ecm, and tan is the 5 bolt reference wire from the ecm to the sensor. You are correct about black and orange being the ground.

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
thanks josh, soon as I get back home this evening I will start tinkering and figure out where the problem is and post an update. this is only thing keeping the CEL on and I cant be having none of that its driving me crazy, also cant go anywhere without pissing everyone off until the turbo decides to spool.:hello:

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
you wouldn't by chance know where power and ground wires run to would ya? I already plan on removing the harness sheeths and tracing but the lazy side of me would surely be grateful!!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
5v ref wire (tan color) goes to C1 pin 13 at the ECM
Vane pos sig wire (yellow color) goes to C1 pin 20 at the ECM
Low ref wire (orange/black color) goes to C1 pin 63 at the ECM

Attachments

• GM1544242.png
    GM1544242.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 14

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
ah ok, your a life saver. ok so I have managed to pull the ecm up top so its easier to work with, pin 13 on this truck C1 is yellow with a black stripe. it does have 12v when the key is on though. pin 63 is a pinkish tan colored wire

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
ok im an idiot I jumped the gun and was looking at the plug upside down.
made a temp jumper from ecm power straight to sensor and that fixed it right up!
you don't know how appreciative I am right now.

ledwards89

Texas
Oct 3, 2017
odessa, TX
me too it was one of them things that'll drive ya nuts. it runs a lot different now sounds a lot cleaner instead of the open vane rumble constantly. I figured after a few drives into town it'll relearn that sensor and be good as new