VSS Input on Standalone LBZ/LMM

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Did this one a while back on a LLY but had never tested on LBZ/LMM until tonight.

The E35A/B series ECM will accept a single wire square wave pulse signal for vehicle speed just like the LB7/LLY. So you can use any GPS/acceleratometer or other pulse signal generator with square wave pattern in the 0.1khz to 4.5khz range. That range matches the factory setting of 101008 pulses per mile. This signal then becomes usable by the ECM in speed related tables, and is passed along in CANbus data to any gauge setup. I haven't tested on the TCM side cause I didn't have one handy.

The only GPS to pulse unit I've tested so far is the Dakota Digital GPS-50. Sure there are others out there now, but that one has an accelerometer that takes over if GPS signal is lost. So no jumpy readings.

This is a single wire connection. The GM pinout list 2 VSS wires, but only one is used. And NOT the one listed "vehicle speed sensor.."

X2 Pin 45 [VSS HIGH] is the one you want.
X2 Pin 54 [Vehicle Speed Signal] did not work, and might be related to TCM. Needs further testing.

attachment.php

To verify this I used a simple $4 PWM generator from eBay, that's shipped all the way China for free... So expectations weren't very high :rofl: But it works.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GM-X2-VSS-Inputs.jpg
    GM-X2-VSS-Inputs.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 146
  • 2-Channel-PWM-Pulse-Frequency-Duty-Cycle-Square-Wave-_1.jpg
    2-Channel-PWM-Pulse-Frequency-Duty-Cycle-Square-Wave-_1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 146

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Follow Up

Got my hands on a DD GPS-50-1 unit and verified this mod on a LMM E35B ECM on the bench. ECM X2 Pin 45.

Set the GPS in 128k pulses per mile calibration mode, where it outputs a steady 60mph test signal. Then had to change setting in the speedo calibration using EFIlive. Took a couple tries, but got it spot on with a 60MPH VSS value.

Same setup works on the LLY, so guessing prob work on a LML also.

One could use this mod with a simple switch to ground of the "4X4 Low Range" input signal wire on ECM to speed and torque limit tunes. Just set your speed value in table H0108, and tuck a switch under the dash. Very simple Valet mode on any Duramax swap...

Attachments

• 20170908_075212.jpg
    20170908_075212.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 15
  • GM-X2-VSS-Inputs.jpg
    GM-X2-VSS-Inputs.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 17
  • GPS-Speedo-Cal-E35B.jpg
    GPS-Speedo-Cal-E35B.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: