LBZ: Vibrations At Idle

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Don't see how it won't fit. You don't have a differential to get in the way of things.

Your just efing with me.....
=
=
0809_8l_15_+pro_comp_parts_installed_2007_chevy_silverado+crossmember_removal.jpg

=
=
=

=
=
s-l1600.jpg

=
=
=

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
600 is the stock idle speed for 01, so why is it bad? GM changed it because of the nasty harmonics you encounter in the 640-650 range. Mine is still at 600, and is fine, but you do notice the harmonics just off idle. As to polymounts, they're going to give you more vibrations at idle, just thenature of the beast. And the ladt thing in the world one would want to do is use the engine block to stiffen the frame. The engine is already under extreme forces justfrom running, let alone if you add more to it. Poly mounts stiffen things up, yes, but it comes at a cost. I'll never run them again.

I don't do burnouts or abuse the truck like a lot guys, I use it but do not abuse it and the mounts did what I intended them do....:thumb:
=
=
sigpic2241_1.gif

=

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
600 is the stock idle speed for 01, so why is it bad? GM changed it because of the nasty harmonics you encounter in the 640-650 range. Mine is still at 600, and is fine, but you do notice the harmonics just off idle. As to polymounts, they're going to give you more vibrations at idle, just thenature of the beast. And the ladt thing in the world one would want to do is use the engine block to stiffen the frame. The engine is already under extreme forces justfrom running, let alone if you add more to it. Poly mounts stiffen things up, yes, but it comes at a cost. I'll never run them again.

Just MO, but the lower idle + polymounts isnt the best idea on a DD truck. The vibration got worse throughout the cab. Put the stock tune with higher base idle back in and the excessive vibration is gone. Maybe it was the motor build, maybe the tune...I just know its fixed.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The problem I have with the lower idle, is you have to go through that 640-650 range where the harmonics are severe. I prefer mine idling at 600 myself, just like the lower idle, and the decreased load on my brakes.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
TheBac;1006686[B said:
]Just MO, but the lower idle + polymounts isnt the best idea on a DD truck[/B]. The vibration got worse throughout the cab. Put the stock tune with higher base idle back in and the excessive vibration is gone. Maybe it was the motor build, maybe the tune...I just know its fixed.

Why not.?

Question for ya'll, would anyone keep the stock engine mounts and use a poly mount at the transmission.?

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Why not what, Mike? Mine reacted that way. If yours didnt, then completely disregard my bitching. Every truck is different.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Open the scan tool, connect to your vehicle with the little green button icon on the left. Once connected, there are tabs along the top of the screen. Look for the one that says DVT. Click that tab and it will open the DVT tool options. Look for the button towards the upper right of that screen that says activate. Click it. There is another tab on the left side of the screen that says "control". Click it. One option will be idle speed. Check the box next to it and slide the bar back and forth to turn it up or down.

Next question, can the truck be driven temporarily with the laptop and V2 hooked up till I find what idle works best.?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Umm I don't think so, not with the dvt controls active. Well least on my truck, when you touch the brake pedal it disables whatever function you were controlling. Does this happen to anyone else?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks, I read the PDF couple years back and IIRC the DVT does dis-connect if you push the brake pedal. If it did not you could do some serious damage to the transmission or engine if you hit the wrong button while driving if the DVT was active.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Try it and see. I know not all the dvts quit as I had an issue before where the ac wasnt being triggered, so i turned it on vie the dvt, and it worked. I've also used it to tune out drone with the vvt side. Adjust the vein position going down the road until it gets to where the drone goes away so I know which way togo in the tune file to get rid of it.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Ferman, I had it hooked up about 2 years ago and it was a little cumbersome to get it connected, either try it or peruse through the 2 PDF's the Tuning Tool User Manual at 107 pages or the Scan Tool User Manual at 195 pages has to be in their somewhere...:confused:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My LMM vibrates like hell, not rattles at the rpm it's set at. I'm going to run those mounts you sent me with bolts just because the ma's are a waste for my set up that and I don't want the rattles of a stock engine you get with them.

You'll probly have to idle around 700 or over 730 to get it right

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Mines idles around 690. Nice and smooth

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Put an AF cam in with a balanced rotating assembly and all your idle vibes will go away. I hated MA mounts until this ngine. MA mounts and poly trans mount and she's smooth t stock idle.

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Put an AF c in with a balanced rotating assembly and all your idle vibes will go away. I hated MA mounts until this ngine. MA mounts and poly trans mount and she's smooth t stock idle.

If this motor ever grenades I'm buying a 1970-1972 Fleetside Shortbed Chevy P/S, P/B, A/C that someone has already done all the work. The last years just before emissions started to get nasty in 1973 and has front disk brakes, rear drums to disk are an easy bolt on application if not done already....:thumb:

FWIW I had rattles before the Merchant Mounts now just in a different spot. I'll treat it like a cricket and find it, and it could be the exhaust pipe hitting the torsion bar mount again....:woott:

Last edited:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
AAAAAAaaaaahhhhh quiet, the 720rpm tune is much better, but, the transmission seems a bit quirky and I'll give it a few days and maybe drop it to a 710 idle. The DVT controls do not disconnect and drove the truck around for few minutes with the laptop connected.

Had a hell of time loading the new calibration into the V2, after about 4 times getting an error, reading PDF files, watching youtube videos I took a closer look and SD card and it was not locked in.....:doh:

Can anyone think of reason a 720rpm tune IS not OK in the LBZ, I know the LMM has a stock 720 rpm idle but it also has no speed sensor at transmission bell housing like the older models.?

Thanks all, now have to go see if can get my Brother-in-law's Torchmate table operational.............:thumb: