Vehicle Hoist

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am looking at getting another hoist in the shop, so I can work on multi able projects at the same time and be able to safely hold heavier trucks. I currently have a 7000 LBS 2 post hoist that I shouldn't really be using for trucks. I am wanting to get a 9000-11000 LBS 2 post with overhead cables. I have been considering a 4 post for the ease of use, but I am not sure I want to give up that much space. What to guys recommend? Any brands to stay away from, which ones have the descent quality, ease of use, and aren't budget killers.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I run bendpak. I have 2 10k 2 post and a 14k 4 post. I love the 4 post for most things but can do way more with the 2 post. Lift cabs for the most part. But in your situation I would get a 2 post.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am with Ne-max, we also run Bendpak in our shop. We have a 14k 2 post, 10k 2 post, and a 14k 4 post.

The 4 post is nice but we also are a commercial shop and can benefit from making money with that floor space. For your situation a good 2 post style lift is ideal. I would honestly get the largest you can fit in your garage (height wise) as our smaller 2 post is much shorter and is kind of a pain on anything but a small sedan.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Rotary are one of, if not the best on the market, on the more budget side is Atlas, I'll be the first to say bendpak is alright but so cheaply made I'll never buy one. Their quality control is horrendous, you may get a good one you may get a bad one you'll never know until you install it. Plus they just feel so cheap.

I'm looking at an Atlas 10k 2 post and they are very reasonably priced.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Buddy of mine has 2 Atlas 15k's 2 post. They had issues right off the bat with the motors when you initially hit the button, they would buzz and nothing would happen. had them replaced under warranty and no issues since. seemed like really good lifts to me

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
You want a badass lift get a Mohawk they are the best I’ve seen. Challenger USA models are very nice lifts as well .

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Buddy of mine has 2 Atlas 15k's 2 post. They had issues right off the bat with the motors when you initially hit the button, they would buzz and nothing would happen. had them replaced under warranty and no issues since. seemed like really good lifts to me

Dealership I worked at had bendpak, Atlas and rotary, we also had an Atlas motor fail soon after install and the warranty Dept was awesome to deal with. Bendpak warranty on the other hand was crap, they told us from the beginning that it was operator error until we took it far enough they had a product engineer come out, one we had was welded together with like a 3* built into it and no matter how to rigged up the truck it would fall off. We had 3 vehicles fall off the same lift all about 2ft off the ground until they replaced the lift arms ever since then it was fine. Our rotartly lifts were problem free for over a decade and we'll overloaded from day one.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
what slab thickness is required for a 14k lift? can you just pour it heavy where the lift posts are going?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
what slab thickness is required for a 14k lift? can you just pour it heavy where the lift posts are going?

Most 14k require 6". My 10k was 4". If you have the option I would pour a new pad underneath them. Especially lifting longer trucks.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
We have a Mohawk 10k 2-post that has been absolutely trouble free the whole time at my Dad's shop. Probably 4 years old now? It lifts my truck loaded with fuel and tools (9500+ lbs) no sweat, and doesn't even look like it is working. Which is a reassuring thing, when 9500+ lbs is suspended above your head.

It is hydraulic instead of cable and we got the line extensions so they go all the way up to the roof so we can lift super tall vehicles to full height.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I agree with nemax a 4 post is nice to have cause not only does it serve as a lift but a drive on 4 post will provide a work bench/table for tools and such. plus you can build your own tire holisters and mount to it so the floor stays clean and free of parts make production or repairs faster jmho but for the most part and rotary 9000k red one is the strongest safest one I've used and will plan on using when I build my own shop at home for repairs on my own vehicles:thumb:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I have a 10k mohawk..... probably 15 years old. Orginal motor, one new cylinder. My distributor warrantied it. Guess they are life ???? Pretty neat though and very very strong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Bendpak says right in instructions 4" minimum.
I do not agree with bendpak at all. That's wild, unless they have a huge foot print on both beams. That just seems crazy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
They Have a pretty big foot print. I'm sure there is a lot of engineering involved with this. Especially with the liability. Don't get me wrong. Seems sketchy.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a 10k lb Forward Lift 2 post in my shop that I’ve had for the past 5 years. It gets used very often to lift heavy diesel trucks. I even picked up a 4wd crew cab Kodiak with it before. Other than a recent problem with it having trouble starting the motor (my electrician buddy that was out here today said it sounds like a start capacitor going out) it has been trouble free, and I haven’t maintained it like I should. I really like the lift, the quality seems great, and I would not hesitate to buy a second one or recommend one to someone in the market for a new one. .

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I have one of the Forward 10k 2 post lift in my garage (non commercial use) I've had it for a couple years, no issues to date. It lifts my truck no problem at 7300lbs.

IIRC, the instructions say a min of a 4'' of 10,000psi concrete, but when we poured my slab we measured and poured a big area, 36''x36'' and I think 12 or 18'' deep(been a while), probably overkill.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bendpak says right in instructions 4" minimum.

Haha **** those idiots I've seen anchors pull out of 4" concrete before no thanks, I'd go atleast 6" preferably 8"

Bendpak makes a decent product but their engineering is bad and their QC is even worse I've seen it first hand, if that's bad there's no way I'm going to trust their instructions on assembly