Van Tune Express

CPaulie

Feb 8, 2021
Has anyone ever wrote a van tune or have any to share? Tips and shared knowledge much appreciated!! Thanks!

CPaulie

Feb 8, 2021
2007 Duramax thanks for reply! I'm curious I have done the research on trucks yet there is just hardly any info for tuning on vans... EFILive

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
2007 Duramax thanks for reply! I'm curious I have done the research on trucks yet there is just hardly any info for tuning on vans... EFILive

well joshh is the man on vans..

Google “the dumpster” Duramax van

CPaulie

Feb 8, 2021
Whoa yes JoshH you are the van man!!! Very impressive, nice job on that build!! No quite looking for a race tune ;)

CPaulie

Feb 8, 2021
Let me dive deeper in hopes of making this clear. When writing a mileage/economy tune I have an understanding of main injection pulse and timing (most critical & secretive). Read that lowering boost in the 60-70 mph range to improve fuel economy. How does one lower engine boost in the cruising range 60 70 mph? Would it be adjust turbo vane position? Can anyone elaborate on this? I've also read about tuning an engine brake I suppose this would be turbo vane positioning as well? Hope this is more clear as to what I am after. Thanks!

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I've never had good luck with lowering the boost for mpg from stock. But I'm at 55-6k feet so that's likely why. Just make sure your not crusing around with 70%+ on the vain position to keep the back pressure down. Get the timing up around 8-10 degrees cruising down the highway 70-80mph and that will help quite a bit. Just look for the mm3/rpm value you use the most in your average cruise areas and bump the timing there don't get to much in the other area's stick with a calculator.

Reactions: CPaulie

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Tuning theories carry over from the trucks since they are the same engine and run the same module with just slightly different tuning. The only thing I've found that is a little different is the scaling in the pulse width table doesn't seem to match the fuel quantity exactly. If you look at the values in a van OS for pulse width and compare them to a truck, you will see what I'm talking about. From what I can remember, it's mostly the lower fuel quantities and seems to affect idle more than anything (trying to copy/paste a pulse width table from a truck file into a van file causes them to lope at idle and a very touchy pedal).

CPaulie

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks for replies, wrote up a tune and in beta testing now... On the durmax van has anyone done anything to the fuel filtration system or added lift pump? If so could you share the products used? I just found the CAT fuel filter adapter from sinister diesel on FB marketplace for a deal and picked it up. To my dismay the CAT filter will no work due to the longer length filter that hits the cross-member. So I will have to due some modifications in order to make this work if I move forward... So just tossing this out there for any thoughts or experience in the fuel filtration system... THANKS!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
anything still be speciality. Pick up a lift pump of your liking and build the install brackets. Kennedy, fass, air dog

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
Thanks for replies, wrote up a tune and in beta testing now... On the durmax van has anyone done anything to the fuel filtration system or added lift pump? If so could you share the products used? I just found the CAT fuel filter adapter from sinister diesel on FB marketplace for a deal and picked it up. To my dismay the CAT filter will no work due to the longer length filter that hits the cross-member. So I will have to due some modifications in order to make this work if I move forward... So just tossing this out there for any thoughts or experience in the fuel filtration system... THANKS!
I have been using Racor filters with no issues for over 500,000 miles. Kennedy lift pump is a great choice since you already have 2 quality filters.