Valve adjustment moving air question.

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009
I've installed the 2nd head on my pass side that I received yesterday. As I go to roll the engine over, I can hear air escaping as the valves open. This isn't a sound I had on the previous adjustment. Any ideas what it is? I'll see if I can post a video.

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009

The valves aren't adjusted what so ever. I was just rotating to find the degree mark on the balancer.

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009
It seems to only be air escaping the glow plug holes. I guess I couldn't hear it due to my huge fan I was running last time. :rofl:

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Air could be leaking past the injectors, injector cups, intake/exhaust valves, or head gaskets. It could also be air escaping past the rings. You should be able to feel if its leaking past the valves or injectors either through the ports or near the injector body if that is the case.

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009
I pulled the glow plugs from the drivers side and it was making the same noise. It was silent as a ghost with the plugs in but hard to turn over. Once I'm finished with the valve adjustment I'll reinstall all 8 glow plugs and make sure all is quiet. Thanks Power!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Are you sure its not just going past the rings? that's normal and it sound like it is air leaking by somewhere. unless you can feel the air coming by the valves ir glowplugs.