Upper oil pan leak, or other leaks?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Morning everyone. I'm chasing what I thought was an upper oil pan leak on my LBZ truck, but now that I have everything (except the oil pans) out of the way and can see better, I'm not so sure that's what it is.

This started with the lower pan being wet. I pulled that last weekend and resealed it, but while it was apart I noticed the whole front of the upper pan was wet too. I'm torn...part of me says that I'm this far in (front diff and trans are out) so just pull the pans and reseal, and part of me says that's a complete PITA because I either need to try to grind down a 17mm socket or pull the flexplate to get the upper pan to flywheel housing bolts out. I REALLY don't want to pull the flexplate...not sure how successful I'll be getting a socket to fit.

Here's what I'm working with...take a look below and let me know what you think.

This is what I am chasing...thought this was due to the seal between the front cover and upper pan leaking:
upper pan.jpg.

But after pulling the water pump and balancer, it looks like it may just be a water pump gasket and front main leak:
crank seal.jpg
water pump.jpg

On the driver side, I thought the joint between the rear cover and upper pan looked like it was leaking, but I'm thinking now this could just be the oil cooler:
oil cooler.jpg

Passenger side. This could either be the upper pan leaking, or possibly just oil from the front seal being blow rearwards.
passenger side.jpg

...and finally, near the starter on the passenger side. Pan seal, oil dipstick tube, or more oil blow rearwards from the front main leaking? Interesting that it's really gunked up, but doesn't look wet.
dipstick tube.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would clean it up really good then keep an eye on it to see where it starts to build up first. With all the oil being blown around and the dirt all mixed in it can almost be impossible to find

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I would clean it up really good then keep an eye on it to see where it starts to build up first. With all the oil being blown around and the dirt all mixed in it can almost be impossible to find

Thanks, decided not to pull the upper pan based on thinking through your recommendation. Busy last week and weekend. Truck now has new front axle seals, new water pump, new front main seal, new oil cooler seals, RTV under trans bolt heads (they were seeping too), new converter seal. It's all back together. Gotta fill with fluids tomorrow and then fire it up. Crossing my fingers I got it all.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There is nobody on this forum --- NOBODY -- who works faster and is more focused than you. Ive never seen anything like it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just FYI, i dont think ive seen an upper oil pan that has been 100% oil free after it has time under its belt. the front and rear covers dont sit perfectly flush to the block when the oil pan goes on and i always see them weep/leak at the corners. So dont be surprised if you see it weep some over time. looks like you got the rest of it though

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
There is nobody on this forum --- NOBODY -- who works faster and is more focused than you. Ive never seen anything like it.
My wife thinks I'm insane. So there's that :ROFLMAO:

How have you been? What ever came of your 1/2 ton swap project?

just FYI, i dont think ive seen an upper oil pan that has been 100% oil free after it has time under its belt. the front and rear covers dont sit perfectly flush to the block when the oil pan goes on and i always see them weep/leak at the corners. So dont be surprised if you see it weep some over time. looks like you got the rest of it though

Gotcha, that makes sense. I can handle that, just HATE drips. With a passion.

Truck is on the road again, just went for a short test drive. Need to check fluid levels now and give the under side a once over to see how the short drive looks. Then maybe hook up the trailer in the next few days and pull the hill on I-17 up towards Sunset Point and get it hot and see how it looks after that.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Spoke too soon. Seems that the upper pan seal is indeed still leaking, looks like in two places. Damn. Guess I get to tear it apart again, lucky me.

This one is dripping down onto the bottom of the upper pan.
PXL_20201219_160426017.jpg

This one seems to be running backwards behind the starter, onto the top of the upper pan wing, the down the rear of the lower pan.

PXL_20201219_163306281.jpg
PXL_20201219_160505057.jpg