LB7: Up pipes worth the money?

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hi guys,

While the trans is out, I'm thinking about doing up pipes/down pipe. Are these mods worth the money? I currently have an intake, straight 5" exhaust, and a DSP5. The trans will be built before it goes back in.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
At least do the down pipe

X's 2. It will help out quite a bit. Makes the truck sound SOOO much better as well. Stock dp is extremely restrictive.
Up pipes would be nice. But are more $$ at the point your at, I'd stick with the dp and save that cash you would spend on up pipes.

My .2

bradyn

Sep 22, 2010
kansas
I didn't really notice any difference with my down pipe but they are a lot cheaper than up pipes.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How is a dp not worth the money?

It essentially has the same cross section (area) as a stocker plus you dont do anything about the 3" connection at the front pipe, so you have that same restriction.

A 3.5" downpipe with a larger front pipe connection would be ideal.

Im talking stock turbos....not aftermarket. I do not have any experience with those.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
It essentially has the same cross section (area) as a stocker plus you dont do anything about the 3" connection at the front pipe, so you have that same restriction.

A 3.5" downpipe with a larger front pipe connection would be ideal.

Im talking stock turbos....not aftermarket. I do not have any experience with those.

What do you mean "3" connection at the front pipe"?? Not sure if I'm tracking you on that.

I know when I pulled my stocker, it looked SOOOO much more restrictive than the mbrp unit I had. The stocker went from round, to flat (ish) to having a huge dent in it for the dip stick the. Back to round again. It looked like my truck was breathing through a straw.

I ditched the 3" mbrp for a 4" on my 366.

Either way.. Even if I'm wrong, it does make the truck get rid of that atrocious screaming noise at wot. Sounds burlier after a dp.

I honestly don't understand how 3" dp isnt better than a stock dp if that's true.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I didn't really notice any difference with my down pipe but they are a lot cheaper than up pipes.

When it comes to things like exhaust and intake.... Are you really gonna feel the (maybe. Using it losly) added 10hp? I don't think you would feel or notice it.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What do you mean "3" connection at the front pipe"?? Not sure if I'm tracking you on that.

I know when I pulled my stocker, it looked SOOOO much more restrictive than the mbrp unit I had. The stocker went from round, to flat (ish) to having a huge dent in it for the dip stick the. Back to round again. It looked like my truck was breathing through a straw.

I ditched the 3" mbrp for a 4" on my 366.

Either way.. Even if I'm wrong, it does make the truck get rid of that atrocious screaming noise at wot. Sounds burlier after a dp.

I honestly don't understand how 3" dp isnt better than a stock dp if that's true.

When I cut apart an LB7 downpipe to try to build a larger one myself, I measured the cross section of the stocker. It was roughly 2"x4", which is 8sq". A 3" downpipe only has an area a bit larger than 7sq". Even with the stocker's restrictions, the only improvement would really be at the top bend after the turbo. I only run ~1500* in the 1/4 with a stocker, so it wasnt worth it to me to change it out.

A 3.5" downpipe would have an area of 9.6sq" and that would be a big improvement.

That leads me to the downpipe/frontpipe band connection. You could have a 4" downpipe, but it still has to squeeze thru that 3" restriction, doesnt it? So any benefits you might get from a larger downpipe are negated by the choke point at the front pipe. IF someone would make a 3.5" downpipe and include a new front pipe with a 3.5 or 4" connection, Id buy one. Problem is, it would be cost prohibitive, thats why nobody has done it.

Uppipes, though, are a definite improvement. Combine them with a set of manifolds and you reduce restriction to the turbo by quite a bit.

Last edited:

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Another thing to consider(with RDL up-pipes anyway) is that the up-pipe kit only will not bolt up to his manifold later on down the road. If you would ever want upgrade manifold, you would have to ditch the uppipes because they do not bolt up to his manifold. Have to do it as a kit. I would think the down pipe would be most cost effective, EGT-wise.
My truck sounds less like a VGT truck after RDL's down pipe and up-pipes:thumb: but if i knew that i couldnt just bolt up his manifolds later on when i did it, i wouldnt have.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
When I cut apart an LB7 downpipe to try to build a larger one myself, I measured the cross section of the stocker. It was roughly 2"x4", which is 8sq". A 3" downpipe only has an area a bit larger than 7sq". Even with the stocker's restrictions, the only improvement would really be at the top bend after the turbo. I only run ~1500* in the 1/4 with a stocker, so it wasnt worth it to me to change it out.

A 3.5" downpipe would have an area of 9.6sq" and that would be a big improvement.

That leads me to the downpipe/frontpipe band connection. You could have a 4" downpipe, but it still has to squeeze thru that 3" restriction, doesnt it? So any benefits you might get from a larger downpipe are negated by the choke point at the front pipe. IF someone would make a 3.5" downpipe and include a new front pipe with a 3.5 or 4" connection, Id buy one. Problem is, it would be cost prohibitive, thats why nobody has done it.

Uppipes, though, are a definite improvement. Combine them with a set of manifolds and you reduce restriction to the turbo by quite a bit.

Ok now I'm tracking. I've just never did the math. Sorry. Judging by the looks of stock vs 3", it looked to be a huge improvement.

Furthermore, I got you on the front pipe. I just didn't know what it was called. When I got my charger, I got rid of that. Home point completely. My turbo has a 4" outlet and that follows all the way to the stack. Which is 5".
The dp is straight after the bend out of the turbo and connects to a 90* 4" bend.

Op... If you can get a used dp for about $100... I'd do it. Even if it's to just get rid of that atrocious scream Noise.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I can't say that it was a big improvement over the stock one but Im sure it helped a little here & there
IF someone would make a 3.5" downpipe and include a new front pipe with a 3.5 or 4" connection, Id buy one. Problem is, it would be cost prohibitive, thats why nobody has done it.
TTS sells that setup
I cut the 4" to 3" reducer of the front pipe, welded a 4" to 3.5" reducer & v-band on to connect to the 3.5" downpipe
I wish I could get the picture to upload but keep getting a Upload of file failed message
Yep definitely a noticeable difference with manifolds/up-pipes, spools alot quicker

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I can't say that it was a big improvement over the stock one but Im sure it helped a little here & there

TTS sells that setup
I cut the 4" to 3" reducer of the front pipe, welded a 4" to 3.5" reducer & v-band on to connect to the 3.5" downpipe
I wish I could get the picture to upload but keep getting a Upload of file failed message

Yep definitely a noticeable difference with manifolds/up-pipes, spools alot quicker

20% more flow would be a decent improvement. I probably should have kept at it with building mine, but in the end was going to be too much having the truck down that long to fit everything properly. A 3.5 v-band to a 4" adapter would've worked perfectly and is what I would have done.

The pic is probably too large. If you dont have a resizing program,then send the pic in an email to yourself and it should resize itself.

I will never run a TTS part on my truck. I just cant bring myself to support that person.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
20% more flow would be a decent improvement. I probably should have kept at it with building mine, but in the end was going to be too much having the truck down that long to fit everything properly. A 3.5 v-band to a 4" adapter would've worked perfectly and is what I would have done.

The pic is probably too large. If you dont have a resizing program,then send the pic in an email to yourself and it should resize itself.

I will never run a TTS part on my truck. I just cant bring myself to support that person.

Oh I know what you mean on fitting
I was pulling the stock DP out, bolting the other one in, swapping front pipes, cutting & fitting, then pulling all that stuff out to put the stock stuff back in to go to work the next day.

I tried resizing it, I tried other pics & did the same thing

I know you wouldn't run it, figured Id toss that in for a laugh