Up in flames!

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
That thing is awesome. I can't wait to see it go. Are you still going to be able to drive it on the street some? If not, maybe Dad will let you hold the reins on his cool Blazer.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Can't wait to make some noise with this beast soon!!!:hug:

Hell yeah!! it's going to be rowdy and I can't wait!

That thing is awesome. I can't wait to see it go. Are you still going to be able to drive it on the street some? If not, maybe Dad will let you hold the reins on his cool Blazer.

Unfortunately, with the solid block and heads it will not be street driven. I still have my Danville built motor that I could run if I ever wanted to put it back on the street.
Oh, I'm sure dad would let me take his blazer out. I think he only put about 500 miles on it last year.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Looks Fantastic. Love the big single!

I've never tried a big single so It's going to be a learning experience for me. Hopefully we can get the converter loose enough and spray enough nitrous to not snuff the charger out on shifts and lock up.

The 4" pipe coming off the charger has a Nitrous Outlet interspooler in it. That's capable of spraying two 200 shots and there will be another stage in the inlet of the charger.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/inters...ooler-4-wet-dry-nitrous-plate-conversion.html

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why aren’t you running an air to water intercooler? Just curious. Everything looks really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Why aren’t you running an air to water intercooler? Just curious. Everything looks really nice.

Because I had the air to air and don't have the $$$ to change to air to water.

We were going to try it without an intercooler at all and just use nitrous to cool it. But after talking to too many people that have tried it and it not working we decided to run the air to air.
If it comes down to it we may still try it without cooler. The only problem is it's a solid motor and cool down is going to take long enough. Add an extra 100+ degrees to the motor and it's going to take even longer.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I gotcha. Air to air is so much less clutter and headache. I was just curious because the air to water gains so much horsepower and helps stay on top of a large single. I was just surprised to see an air to air.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I gotcha. Air to air is so much less clutter and headache. I was just curious because the air to water gains so much horsepower and helps stay on top of a large single. I was just surprised to see an air to air.

It kept the iat down with the triples. Hope they may even be less with the single and nitrous. Hopefully!!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What kind of intake temps were you seeing with the triples? Pre and post intercooler?

With a large single I see up to 500 degrees pre, and down to 58-75 degrees post. I never recorded my temperatures before I switched to water to air.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
What's the estimated power loss per degree of temp?

That would all depend on the setup and the tuning. It isn't as reliable as the 1psi boost drop per 100* drop. The bigger issue with the heat is it stacks up and if not controlled then you start wrecking stuff and in a solid motor setup it becomes really important since it is harder to cool it back down. In a solid motor setup your oil is your only heat removing tool so you have to do anything and everything you can to help it do its job.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
How much time does a solid engine need between runs for cool down? On the dyno or the track?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Oh wow. That would really slow things down....

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Don't you have his old frame? What's happening with it? :D

Brent, sends me pictures every so often and let me just say its going to be nicer then my truck!!
I don't think it's at Dustin's shop anymore. I think it's at the body shop or back in Brent's hands.
It's defiantly going to be a very nice truck when it's all done!

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
Thanks Brett, but it's almost to the point of taking it back apart for paint and powder. The seat is being covered in black leather with houndstooth panels,the bed is finished, and a little fab work on the steering sector to do. I'll make all the brake lines and fuel lines after paint. It's slow go and my stack is depleted. I would post some pics but I don't know how. I would love to have it done by Spring but there's a lot left to do, and Spring is my busy season. Dad bought this truck new, and I would love for him to drive it while he still can, being as he's 91 now. I want it to look sort of like it came out of the factory, all factory trim, no shiny engine parts, etc. My plan is to drive it a lot and race it some. We reworked Brett's trailer hitch to fit around different tank, and I plan on pulling a trailer to the track for my slicks and jack.