Unlock NBS Nav radio

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I got a question for someone who is familiar with using a Tech II to unlock a radio on a NBS truck. A friend put a factory Nav radio in his 07.5 truck, and it is theft locked. He took it to the dealership to get it unlocked. They hooked up to it and tried to unlock it, but when they failed, they told him it had to be in an 08 or newer. This sounds like they just don't know how to unlock it. I know on the page that tells how to do the Lux Bose install has a step by step unlock procedure for a Tech II. Does anyone know the steps to unlock a NBS radio, or is it the same as the older body style trucks?

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
when I did the stero swap in my 07 gasser, I had to use the mdi and connect to tis2 web and reprogram it selecting the correct rpo code for the stereo and not the truck if that makes sense. took me a bit to figure it all out though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So you can't just go through the Tech II and unlock it like you can with the 03-07 trucks?

What is the MDI, and how do you find out the correct RPO code for the radio?

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
no on the new trucks it has to be unlocked through tis2 I'm 90% sure. The MDI is just the wireless interface. you can do remote or pass through programming with the tech2 as well. I just tried a few different RPO code combinations till i got it to work. Could find a truck with it and get the rpo codes out of the glove box?

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
I got a question for someone who is familiar with using a Tech II to unlock a radio on a NBS truck. A friend put a factory Nav radio in his 07.5 truck, and it is theft locked. He took it to the dealership to get it unlocked. They hooked up to it and tried to unlock it, but when they failed, they told him it had to be in an 08 or newer. This sounds like they just don't know how to unlock it. I know on the page that tells how to do the Lux Bose install has a step by step unlock procedure for a Tech II. Does anyone know the steps to unlock a NBS radio, or is it the same as the older body style trucks?

When I installed mine it was unlocked but when I put the back up camera they did the whole thing all over again and they had to use the tis. That is the only way to get the radio to work. The tech ii can only do the tire pressure reprogram without the tis plus its other functions.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just to let everyone know. I did some more searching online and found a Tech2 only procedure that got it unlocked with needing to connect to TIS2WEB. Here it is for anyone else that might need it.

#PIT4007D: Radio Displays LOCKED After SPS Programming - (Aug 11, 2008)

Subject: Radio Displays "LOCKED" After SPS Programming

Models: 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2008-2009 Hummer H2

This PI was superseded tp update model years and text. Please discard PIT4007C.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some technicians may find that after SPS programming a replacement radio the display will show "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK". The radio theft deterrent system disables radio functionality if the VIN information sent by the BCM does not match the vehicle VIN information contained in the radio. The radio compares its learned VIN information to the VIN learned in the BCM via GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information before it will function. The radio learns the VIN information during the SPS programming event.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, some SPS programming events will NOT successfully learn the vehicles VIN information in the radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction, however the following steps can be performed to resolve this condition if SPS programming does not unlock the radio:

2. Perform the radio setup in SI (Document ID# 1745049) as well as,
3. Perform A VIN Relearn. To Perform the VIN Relearn, build the tech 2 as follows:
• F0: Diagnostics

• Passenger Car

• (1) Chevrolet

• W

• WN Monte Carlo LTZ

• F6: Body and Accessories

• Entertainment

• F5: Module Setup

• F0: Radio

• F0: VIN Relearn
4. When prompted to erase the theft data: "select yes"
5. Shut the key off for 60 seconds and remove the Tech 2 from the vehicle.
6. After sixty seconds has elapsed, the VIN should relearn upon start up.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step

wesmurphy

Aug 31, 2018
I hate to reopen an old thread, but I wanted to add some information that may help someone coming here from a web search.

I recently replaced the the radio in my 2014 Silverado 2500 (old body style) with a navigation unit from a 2012 Tahoe. I was able to successfully program the donor radio using a clone MDI2 purchased from Amazon, and a $40 programming subscription from AC Delco TDS. During normal programming, the original VIN in the nav unit is not replaced, & although programming is successful, the VIN must be removed so it can marry to the new VIN found in the BCM. If you go to a dealer, I *think* the technician will call the Techline & get a special VCI which includes the new VIN to overwrite the old VIN. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to Techline.

This part is where I got stumped for a little bit. The clone MDI2 that I bought included an emulated version of Tech2Win (Tech2 software replacement) but I never could find the option to reset the VIN as indicated in the above post, it simply was not there. The Tech2Win version included with the clone was NAO V33.004, which was released around 2013, about the same time that GM started pushing their GDS2 online subscription service. On a hunch, I searched for an older version of Tech2Win (that was in operation around 2008 when the above bulletin was released) & found NAO V30.004. After loading up the older .bin file in Tech2Win, the above procedure worked perfectly to clear the old VIN & grab the new VIN. It looks like the engineer's fix to the problem was to completely remove the functionality from the Tech2 around 2013 & require a specialty programming event only available at the dealer.

I would have been money ahead to have the dealer do the programming ($120 for the clone MDI, $40 for the SPS programming from AC Delco) but now I have a way to do other functions, such as key fob programming.

Again, sorry to bring an old thread back, but I wanted to get this information out there for the next person that tries to use Tech2Win that is too new!