Twins with Twins, Anyone?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thanks for the link.
That one is #4 build if I recall.
I did know they built more than 1.

I only saw an old article circa 2007 and in the article it stated it was a Warlock not a Domin8ter... I couldn't really find any more info for the one that is currently for sale.

For reference here is the LLY powered Warlock article.

I just found an old for sale thread on the warlock boat. You previously owned that one?

Reactions: kidturbo

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I had totally forgotten about that article. That is early press on the warlock. Ya can tell because the charge cooler was half the size in those pictures, and was modified before I bought it. Andrew from injectors direct bought it from me, off this forum, then changed the colors. It's currently waiting for me to fly out and reassemble it. Which I plan to do that this spring.

The one in Havasu is actually the boat I know the least about. There is 3 Dmax boats on that lake. Other 2 are ones I've personally worked on.

Looking back, I should have bought the pontoon boat the wife wanted..

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I had totally forgotten about that article. That is early press on the warlock. Ya can tell because the charge cooler was half the size in those pictures, and was modified before I bought it. Andrew from injectors direct bought it for me, off this forum, then changed the colors. It's currently waiting for me to fly out and reassemble it. Which I plan to do that this spring.

The one in Havasu is actually the boat I know the least about. There is 3 Dmax boats on that lake. Other 2 are ones I've personally worked on. Looking back, I should have bought the pontoon boat the wife wanted..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Oh wow! I had no idea.

That's neat your still involved with it and the new owner.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Sold it with unlimited tech support contract..lol

Other fun fact it, while on lake Cumberland in like 2012, two different employees from the Dmax assembly plant flagged me down to check it out. A picture of the Warlock is actually centered on the breakeroom wall in the plant, along with a couple other swaps from back in the day. Probably covered up by now, but thought that was pretty cool.

Back then I thought the 30k learning curve I spent on that Warlock was crazy. Adding an extra zero won't cover the Baja curve today...

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Back from FL today, rested up and gonna start working on these engines again.

Does anyone have the ARP rep who does PRI show and comes to UCC contact details handy? We spoke in depth few years back when I had the engine over there. Gave me his card and said get in touch if I ever needed any custom bolts for these. Lost it.

Reading that Motortrend article again reminds me how far things have progressed on these builds over a decade. Exhaust, turbos, stroker pumps, and me calling my old friends at Extrudehone back then to oversize some injector tips. And then Banks stepped in with the custom marine intake.

According to that article, "The pump that supplies the air-to-water intercooler with fresh water is located down at the bottom of the engine and flows a healthy 32 gallons of water per minute."

While a stock Merc seawater pump is ok for stock power levels, we are now running triple stage 120gpm pumps. 2 stages committed to the charge cooler alone. No more monitoring the IAT sensor like its EGT. And with the water cooled exhaust manifolds, those temps are now way above the 1300F in that article.

Reactions: corneredge

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Some life things came up, and put progress on hold for a few months.

But yesterday, I hit up a buddy with a new white GMC and said, "ya wanta move the Duramax boat?" A rare sighting, only the second time spotted in the wild..

So there ya have it. Thinking maybe it matches better than the old King Ranch.
9fd5950fd85ca11337ec4978c9ffae62.jpg

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Some life things came up, and put progress on hold for a few months.

But yesterday, I hit up a buddy with a new white GMC and said, "ya wanta move the Duramax boat?" A rare sighting, only the second time spotted in the wild..

So there ya have it. Thinking maybe it matches better than the old King Ranch.

I read this thread from beginning to end over the last few weeks. Pretty incredible.

I'm just curious how does it work when you are commissioned to rig a boat like this or a similar project? Are you fronting the time/parts and then invoicing the client monthly or do they give you a payment up front to work with. Seems like you are putting in so much time and energy it would be hard to compensate yourself properly. Also at the end you have so much time on the boat and the normal wear and tear with all the testing that the customer is basically getting a 4year old boat when it's done. Do you then tear it all apart again and paint/polish everything again before delivery?

If you don't want to answer no problem, I was just thinking that while reading and seeing how much effort and $ you put into it.

Reactions: Tool958

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Good questions.

I originally took this on as project manager, at a set hourly rate. Then soon created a company to handle all the paperwork and consolidate billing from dozens of different contractors.

Invoice the client once a month unless something big comes along that we need to purchase. Like 35k for outdrives, or painting the boat. Everything else I covered as needed.

Been a bunch of people worked on this project over the years. To the point that last year, it was getting hard to find anyone to just go for a ride.. I went thru like 5 helpers in 1 year in Florida. And every time ya take it out for couple hours, takes like 3 more hours to wash it and flush all the systems when ya get back to the dock. That's if nothing broke. So last 4 times she was in the water, I was flying solo. Making it far less fun, even on someone else's money. It's more of a crew sport..

So my partner and I had a chat few month's back about what he planned to do with the boat. And if we should put it back together as is, and be happy with 90mph, or continue to pursue 1000hp sustained. Which next step is new studs, and fire ring the blocks. Said we would make a decision right after his birthday, and he was gonna at least come go play with it for a month this summer.

A week after his birthday, he had a massive stroke and died. That was in April. So this project has been on hold, while I've been trying to help his family collect some other toys he left laying around the globe.

The plan for now is get everything cleaned up, back in the boat, and on the water. Maybe look at some sponsorship deals to cover expenses, and do a few events later this year with his son and some friends. She's way to close to quit now...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I seem to remember you mentioned something not too long ago maybe in another thread about him passing away. I don't know the nature of the relationship between the two of you, but I know for me it is easy to become friends with customers who are good people to work with (as it seems the boat owner was). Regardless of how close the two of you were, I'm sure it was a painful to lose someone you worked so closely with. I hope to see you complete the vision he had for the boat, and I hope his family is willing to continue working with you to make his dream a reality.