Twins over stock with VVT + Engine Brake

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
How does engine braking with a VVT turbo work when running a second turbo?
I love the idea of having twins for towing but the flip side is slowing down and the exhaust brake is very very useful on the stock turbo. Hoping the performance of it is the same.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have no personal experience, but I don't see why it would be any less efficient with another turbo behind it.

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
No it's not stock i put a PPE kit in right before the twin kit Before that I ran a stock trans with a precision (ML) converter and a transgo jr kit. Never limped. But when I tore the transmission down it def had signs of heat and burnt clutches

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Jealous of you guys able to run twins so easily. Im on the search now for a s475 there seems like alot of configurations and price swings. Anyone have a link to one most commonly used?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Any 475 will work. The 96 turbine is a common twin app. 1.15-1.34 exhaust housing AR. Garrett GT4202 is another option, it has a smallish turbine but spooled instantly. The garretts are more money.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
That looks to have a 88mm turbine not the 96. Your in Washington i know he's not a vendor but Scott at sdp is in port Angeles and would be able to spec you out and build you a top notch kit. Great guy to deal with I do %90 of my stuff through his shop.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
That looks to have a 88mm turbine not the 96. Your in Washington i know he's not a vendor but Scott at sdp is in port Angeles and would be able to spec you out and build you a top notch kit. Great guy to deal with I do %90 of my stuff through his shop.

I sent him a Email last week, im sure he was at SEMA just waiting on a reply this week. They do seem to have some nice stuff and not horribly far away.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Yes that is a 96mm turbine wheel. Are you building yourself?

If it works out I probably will. That way I can make a few for other Kodiak owners. The Kodiak fitment looks a lot more challenging due to the tighter packaging. But at the same time it looks like it can be done reasonably. My truck is down anyways so now would be the time to start mocking stuff up, and getting an idea of what it takes.