Twins and head stud install help

MURPHDIESEL

May 22, 2011
So Cal
hey guys,

I'm not new here, but this is my first post. I've been lurking for a few years.

Need some help/input- I'm currently waiting on some parts and I am trying to get all my ducks in a line before I tear down the truck.

First thing is I have Nathan at MPI putting together a compound turbo kit for me, an s475 over the stocker. I think I have a good idea on the install for that and everything I need.

Next I am planning on installing head studs, this is where I'm torn. My truck is an LLY, with 123k miles. I currently have no signs of HG issues, but I feel that once I do the twins its just a matter of time. So do you guys suggest I just bite the bullet and do the HG as a preventive measure?

Also need your help as I'm trying to get everything together before the build; so here is the list of everything, please let me know if I am missing anything I will need (gaskets, fluids, hardware, etc.).

MPI compound kit
ARP head studs
Profab short bridge
Batmowheel for stock turbo (any gaskets for this R&R?)
battery relocation kit
upper and lower valve cover gaskets
oil, coolant

Thanks for any help!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
hey guys,

I'm not new here, but this is my first post. I've been lurking for a few years.

Need some help/input- I'm currently waiting on some parts and I am trying to get all my ducks in a line before I tear down the truck.

First thing is I have Nathan at MPI putting together a compound turbo kit for me, an s475 over the stocker. I think I have a good idea on the install for that and everything I need.

Next I am planning on installing head studs, this is where I'm torn. My truck is an LLY, with 123k miles. I currently have no signs of HG issues, but I feel that once I do the twins its just a matter of time. So do you guys suggest I just bite the bullet and do the HG as a preventive measure?

Also need your help as I'm trying to get everything together before the build; so here is the list of everything, please let me know if I am missing anything I will need (gaskets, fluids, hardware, etc.).

MPI compound kit Should come with everything you need.
ARP head studs You may want to get a little extra ARP lube. The little pack they send doesn't go far if you're generous with it.
Profab short bridge You may want to replace the rubber gasket that seals the bridge to the intake "clam shells", but I've reused them before without any trouble.
Batmowheel for stock turbo (any gaskets for this R&R?) If you leave the turbo in the truck and pull the cover while you have the bridge out, you won't need any gaskets. If you pull the turbo, you'll need a lower oil drain gasket.
battery relocation kit I'm not sure what kit you're using or what it comes with, but maybe some cable and/or splices.
upper and lower valve cover gaskets Are yours leaking? I've never needed to replace them before.
oil, coolant
You may want to get an o-ring for the upper coolant pipe that goes into the thermostat housing that the upper radiator hose hooks to and one for the coolant pipe that goes from the thermostat housing to the EGR cooler.

Thanks for any help!
If you're 100% sure you don't have a head gasket problem right now, I wouldn't bother replacing the gaskets. Just pull the head bolts 1 at a time and replace with a head stud while following the head torque sequence as you replace the bolts.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Not to disagree with someone who does alot more work then I do but personnally i would waste your time do one stud at a time and either spend the extra grand a couple days labor and do the gaskets and studs for piece of mind. or jus tleave it be and roll the dice and see how long the HG's last. you'll be disappointed if you do one stud at a time and 6 months down the road your pulling everything off to do the gaskets

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
My head studs were done one out, one in. I had 150k miles on the ticker and at that point about 45k miles of EFI. Didn't have 1 bit of trouble the rest of the time my stock bottom end was in use. Lot of people may warn its a gamble.... I'm not gonna say they are wrong but lots of guys have done it with success.

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Not to disagree with someone who does alot more work then I do but personnally i would waste your time do one stud at a time and either spend the extra grand a couple days labor and do the gaskets and studs for piece of mind. or jus tleave it be and roll the dice and see how long the HG's last. you'll be disappointed if you do one stud at a time and 6 months down the road your pulling everything off to do the gaskets

Have you had some experience doing them one at a time and it not working out? It shouldn't cause any problem and quite a few people have done it with success.

darkone98

Sep 12, 2012
Markerville, AB
I would do head studs for sure and go with the revised head gaskets. My LLY popped them after two weeks on a 150hp tune with a stock single at 90k, supposedly the riveted gaskets are tougher than the early crimped ones. You shouldn't need the upper valve cover gaskets, unless you plan on seperating them for powdercoating or paint. I was even able to re-use my lowers without issue, just be careful not to crimp one. You might want to purchase some ARP Ultra-torgue, the little packet that comes with the studs is pretty small.

MURPHDIESEL

May 22, 2011
So Cal
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. As of right now my plan is to just do the studs, the one by one method.

I was going to replace the valve cover gaskets because I have a small amount of oil that is leaking out around the injector, pass side rear, so I figured I was pulling the valve cover off to do the studs, might as well put new gaskets in. If my logic is incorrect, please let me know.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. As of right now my plan is to just do the studs, the one by one method.

I was going to replace the valve cover gaskets because I have a small amount of oil that is leaking out around the injector, pass side rear, so I figured I was pulling the valve cover off to do the studs, might as well put new gaskets in. If my logic is incorrect, please let me know.

Just use rtv on both sides of the gasket. Should seal it up just fine.