Twin turbo cross over pipe

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Right now I have an epr twin kit on my truck. The kit uses a 3" cross over pipe to connect the s475 to the stocker on the intake side. I see other kits use what looks to be a 3.5" or 4" pipe. In my quest for better low end spool would going to the larger piping help? I haven't measured out the v-band outlet on my s475 but it looks to be atleast 3.5". My theory would be that the larger pipe would be easier for the high pressure turbo to suck air through until the low pressure turbo lights, creating less lag.

From a dead stop it spools good (can always be better) but what I'm after is low end spool at cruising speed. I'd like to roll into the throttle and get both turbos to light faster. The only down side to using the larger piping would be fitment. Right now the 3" pipe contacts my profab y-bridge, but kits like WC Fab come in at a different angle, so that might not be a problem. If anyone has some insight it would be appreciated before a spend a couple $100 only to figure out it didn't help any.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It will not make it spool any quicker. I understand your train of thought but the restriction is in the compressor side of the S475. Not the 3" tube.

However, having said that, a 3.5" charge pipe has several advantages over the 3" and is what I prefer to use on a setup like yours. Its up to you if you want to spend the time and money but imo its not going to help with what you want.

If you want to perk up the low rpm spooling you can look at making some changes to the hotpipe. (The exhaust pipe between the turbos) Another thing to play with is vane position and commanded boost at low rpm. Be careful though as to much commanded boost down low will hurt power and fuel economy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
It will not make it spool any quicker. I understand your train of thought but the restriction is in the compressor side of the S475. Not the 3" tube.

However, having said that, a 3.5" charge pipe has several advantages over the 3" and is what I prefer to use on a setup like yours. Its up to you if you want to spend the time and money but imo its not going to help with what you want.

If you want to perk up the low rpm spooling you can look at making some changes to the hotpipe. (The exhaust pipe between the turbos) Another thing to play with is vane position and commanded boost at low rpm. Be careful though as to much commanded boost down low will hurt power and fuel economy.

Any power advantage up top? Would a race cover help any?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I believe the 3.5" helps throughout the rpm range. I just don't believe you will notice any difference in spool up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would look into ways to either a billet/batmowheel for the 475 or upgrade the exhaust side of the stock turbo and the hot pipe like IOWA said. running the ported/poslish stocker from russ made a difference in spool up for my rig till i put the 480 on and it dropped back down again.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
After talking to mark about it, the 475 standard cover is too tight for the valley turbo to effectively breathe through at low rpms

Corey

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I would look into ways to either a billet/batmowheel for the 475 or upgrade the exhaust side of the stock turbo and the hot pipe like IOWA said. running the ported/poslish stocker from russ made a difference in spool up for my rig till i put the 480 on and it dropped back down again.

I would be all for a billet or batmo wheel but everything I've seen is so inconclusive. I don't want to drop $500+ on a wheel that will only make things worse. I'd be more apt to trying a batmo wheel, but you can't buy them outright.

After talking to mark about it, the 475 standard cover is too tight for the valley turbo to effectively breathe through at low rpms

Corey

The answer to that would be what? A race cover? Step up to a s480?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
A batmowheel/billet in the valley, no I wouldn't do one. The big one is the only one id do.

No a 480 is just a 475 cover milled to a 480. A race cover would be better and I may try that next on my 480 before a wheel

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I would be all for a billet or batmo wheel but everything I've seen is so inconclusive. I don't want to drop $500+ on a wheel that will only make things worse. I'd be more apt to trying a batmo wheel, but you can't buy them outright.

The answer to that would be what? A race cover? Step up to a s480?

You can talk to mark about getting a wheel. Could go either way with that, have to see what will work better for your needs.

Corey

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
A batmowheel/billet in the valley, no I wouldn't do one. The big one is the only one id do.

No a 480 is just a 475 cover milled to a 480. A race cover would be better and I may try that next on my 480 before a wheel

You test a wheel and let me know how it works before I buy one. :hug:

You can talk to mark about getting a wheel. Could go either way with that, have to see what will work better for your needs.

Corey

I would really like to get as much power, or I really should say efficiency out of my current set up as I can before adding injectors, NOS, or anything else.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
The earlier kits had 3.5 tubing but the bends needed to be cut so deep to fit it would end up with oblong ends and took considerable effort to straighten out. So they were reduced to 3 inch to reduce fab time and improve asthetics. The outlet on a 475 is 3 inch IIRC as well, the flange is 3 inch or smaller id.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You test a wheel and let me know how it works before I buy one. :hug:

I would really like to get as much power, or I really should say efficiency out of my current set up as I can before adding injectors, NOS, or anything else.

Look at cokers thread about swapping his 480 cast to a batmowheel. I'm not saying it's he way to go, I would go with what ever mark suggests. At some point I'll be trying either a wheel or cover though ;)

I noticed a heck of a difference with the reworked stocker and the 480. Top end is stronger and pulls harder through out the whole range.

I wonder if mine is 3.5 or 3.0. It's the original kit off Trent's white truck he built before making the kits.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Look at cokers thread about swapping his 480 cast to a batmowheel. I'm not saying it's he way to go, I would go with what ever mark suggests. At some point I'll be trying either a wheel or cover though ;)

I noticed a heck of a difference with the reworked stocker and the 480. Top end is stronger and pulls harder through out the whole range.

I wonder if mine is 3.5 or 3.0. It's the original kit off Trent's white truck he built before making the kits.

Yours is 3.5. Llys-lmms were changed, but lb7s dont really give a choice nor is there issues with tight fitment.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
What about running a turbine diverter on the big charger? I don't know if they made one to fit a t6 or if it would even be cost effective. But I would think it would help the big charger spool faster which could decrease spool time. Just thinking out loud.

I'd love to try a billet wheel and/or a race cover but damn. It takes what was a $700-800 and turns it into almost a $2,000 turbo.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No one said anything about making the hot pipe bigger.....