turning 21 first time pistol buyer

07metallicgreen

Nov 24, 2011
Smicksburg, PA
hey guys im gonna be turning 21 this month, and im looking forward to buying my first pistol. I have never really looked into them before, and I was wanting some opinions on a good buy. what are some that everyone likes/dislikes?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Everyone needs a 1911. Was my first pistol purchase...well real pistol anyways. First actual purchase was a heritage rough rider .22lr revolver. Love that little gun...but a 1911 is just a classic. Mine is a Remington R1 enhanced, comes factory with a threaded barrel so of course i had to buy a suppressor for it:D

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I agree, everyone needs a 1911. I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II, love it. Little overkill, though. I am really liking the idea, design, look and value of the Ruger SR line currently.

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
I love my fn herstal fns40. Just go browse pistols at your lgs to get a feel of what fits good and go from there.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I have a Ruger sr9. Good price for a great shooting gun. If I wanted a higher end gun would have to go with a 1911 for sure. Best thing to do is hold the ones you like and get a feel for it.

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
Depends on what you're going to do with it. Range,carry, home protection.. With that being said one of the best out of the box guns that I've shot was a Walther ppq. What will your pistol be used for?

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
my first pistol I bought was a GEN 4 glock 22 and put a tungston guide rod in it. I like it a lot. But I do agree a 1911 is dead awesome. I just picked up a sig 1911 carry scorpion and it is by far my favorite. weighs just over 2lbs loaded and I carry it every where I like it so much. You cant go wrong with a tried and true 1911.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm not huge on 1911's, I think they're gay :D

My first pistol was a XDm .40, still have it, I'll never get rid of it. Awesome shooting gun and its a breeze to field strip.

As others have said, depends on what you're using it for. Don't buy one just because you can, buy something you'll use. For plinking, get a long barrel and big mag in a 9mm. For carry buy something in the 3in range, and a poly frame.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Go to a reputable gun shop/firing range, they'll allow you to pay a rental fee and try out as many as you'd like. My local range has a fee for both auto pistols and revolvers, when I bought my first gun I paid both fees, rented a lane, bought some targets and had at it for a few hours.

I had personal experience with firearms of all types growing up, so I did not take the beginners course, but after my purchase I have taken several advanced training courses that included everything including CQB, and someday I would like to go to gunsight training academy in Az

Take a class or several, to get firsthand knowledge of how they work how to care for and clean them and get basic handling skills down pat.
I'm sure you're aware, but...
Guns deserve a huge amount of respect and care when handling.

And have "fun" cuz it is, and enjoy your second amendment right!
:thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
3u5yha5y.jpg
this is my current carry pistol. Lcp .380. Not very accurate after 10 feet but that isn't what I bought it for. I am a fairly small guy and I can conceal this completely. A lot better than my big pistol (sig sp2340). I picked the little Ruger up brand new at gander mountain on sale. I think I got the gun, holster, and their no hassle lifetime warranty for right at $400 I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
go to a local range and rent EVERYTHING that tickles your fancy. then decide what you want. because if you are going to rely on it, you better be able to shoot it. after you buy it, skip accessories and spend money on ammo and practice. dont just go in and buy something

1911s are gay but the XD in .40 cal isnt? classic! .40 is what richard simmons shoots and ironically out of an XD

;)

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Its gotta be an XDm, "M" which is the manly factor :rofl:

I was poking fun at everyone having a 1911. Its like they're afraid of new technology. "Tried and true"? Yea, so is an M1 garand but I wouldn't buy one to shoot hogs with.

The only 1911 style pistol I've ever bought was my lady's Sig P238, but its also less involved than a full size.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Its gotta be an XDm, "M" which is the manly factor :rofl:

I was poking fun at everyone having a 1911. Its like they're afraid of new technology. "Tried and true"? Yea, so is an M1 garand but I wouldn't buy one to shoot hogs with.

The only 1911 style pistol I've ever bought was my lady's Sig P238, but its also less involved than a full size.

Hahaha I hear ya. I personally carry a P30 in 9mm because I prefer having a large magazine. Again all preference but I prefer the 9mm for most of my carry because ballistics reports show that shot placement is far more important that caliber and in a gunfight/self defense situation you can never have enough ammo. A 1911 may be one of my favorites of all time but in everyday carry I want every advantage I can get and 8+1 in a stressful self defense situation isn't worth it if I can have more. Hence the 15+1 of my P30. However my philosophy is go with what you shoot well. I used to carry a Glock 23 in .40 because my department carried .40 on duty. Now that I moved out of state I switched to my Hk in 9mm. But I'll admit, while hiking I love a 1911 in a WW2 flap holster. Its classy haha.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
a 1911 is a must have in my opinion. I own a kimber 1911 .45 ACP stainless and rosewood grips. very smooth gun.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hahaha I hear ya. I personally carry a P30 in 9mm because I prefer having a large magazine. Again all preference but I prefer the 9mm for most of my carry because ballistics reports show that shot placement is far more important that caliber and in a gunfight/self defense situation you can never have enough ammo. A 1911 may be one of my favorites of all time but in everyday carry I want every advantage I can get and 8+1 in a stressful self defense situation isn't worth it if I can have more. Hence the 15+1 of my P30. However my philosophy is go with what you shoot well. I used to carry a Glock 23 in .40 because my department carried .40 on duty. Now that I moved out of state I switched to my Hk in 9mm. But I'll admit, while hiking I love a 1911 in a WW2 flap holster. Its classy haha.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Very true, lots of people killed with plain old 22lr. I carry an M&P shield, if I was in some form of law enforcement I might be more prone to carry a lot of rounds. I do have a shoulder holster and 2 spare mags for the Springfield but its not concealable one bit unless you have a jacket on. Yes, we can open carry in Ohio but what they don't know won't hurt them, right?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Very true, lots of people killed with plain old 22lr. I carry an M&P shield, if I was in some form of law enforcement I might be more prone to carry a lot of rounds. I do have a shoulder holster and 2 spare mags for the Springfield but its not concealable one bit unless you have a jacket on. Yes, we can open carry in Ohio but what they don't know won't hurt them, right?

Absolutely. I prefer concealed. I don't want people seeing me get in and out of my truck or go into my home with a gun on. They'll see it as THE truck to break into or home, so they can get the gun. Then again that is my old paranoid east coast way of thinking...out here it is a little different. If you dont carry people look at you funny depending where you are hahahaha. Nice choice on the shoulder holster, classy!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
For a heavy weapon I feel a shoulder holster is the way to go, most comfortable and easy to pull out while seated in a car!