LMM: Turn the key...engine won't crank

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
Truck ran fine on way home from work..next morning went out to crank it...nothing..I'm getting power to all accessories and had my batteries checked and they are fine. Is there a fuse possibly that is hidden that may be bad? Sorry if this questtion has been asked I may have overlooked it if it has already been posted.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Try this:

Try to start truck, then release key DO NOT TURN OFF.
After exactly 10 minutes, the security light should go off.
After exactly 10 minutes, the security light should go off.
After exactly 10 minutes, the truck should start.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does it click or anything like the bendix is engaging just not spinning the engine? My dad's LMM had a starter go out and had to be replaced.

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
thanks

Thanks for all of the replies..unfortunately I didn't get to try out your tip Pat..(the tow truck came to the house before I got home from work and truck is in the shop)...btw I haven't had the latest GM update so hopefully that is all that is wrong with it...

calabria69

Beerstud1
Oct 8, 2008
Santaquin, Utah
mine did the exact same thing, there are some goofy lookin fuses on the passenger side, under the hood against the fire wall, (to the left of the turbo), mine blew and took me hours to finally figure out the problem...it was the most expensive fuse ive ever purchased!! good luck!!

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Your going to need to contact who did your tuning. You will then need to read your new stock tune, send it to the tuner, and have it corrected/scripted/rewritten.

They put an upgraded operating system in so your old OS wont work.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Little late but for others what happened was your truck had the *83 os and it had a vats issue. The dealer has a recall where they update the. LMMs with the *94 os. You can also full flash this new os into the ecm with efi live if you don't want to go to dealer. The vats relearn won't fix this issue if it arises.

Like said your tunes were built in the old os. You can create a script and it will script over the new os flawlessly.

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
Little late but for others what happened was your truck had the *83 os and it had a vats issue. The dealer has a recall where they update the. LMMs with the *94 os. You can also full flash this new os into the ecm with efi live if you don't want to go to dealer. The vats relearn won't fix this issue if it arises.

Like said your tunes were built in the old os. You can create a script and it will script over the new os flawlessly.

Thanks for the info Mike...

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.

Mike ignore the PM...I finally understood what you were saying about the scripting about 15 minutes after I PM'd you

Last edited:

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Sorry...I don`t mean to hijack this thread, but is this GM software issue a recent problem/recall. I haven`t been back to a dealer since I got my 08 used last January, and I have not recieved any recall info in the mail.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Mike ignore the PM...I finally understood what you were saying about the scripting about 15 minutes after I PM'd you

lol I responded before I read the thread lol. oh well.

Sorry...I don`t mean to hijack this thread, but is this GM software issue a recent problem/recall. I haven`t been back to a dealer since I got my 08 used last January, and I have not recieved any recall info in the mail.

yes it is a software update. Call your dealer and they can check if you need to have it done. Have your vin ready before you call.

ToddO64

May 18, 2013
I'm working on a 2010 Express 3500 with a 6.6 diesel. The van belong to Loomis. It has no crank and no start. Initial turn of key creates no action on dash light until activation of headlights seems to activate dash panel lights. Direct power to starter shows that starter will not crank. Fuses seems to be good. I replaced the relay center and ECM. Any information would be very helpful.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Sounds like bad/weak batteries-or poor connections! Clean and tighten the cables.

You should test the batteries. They are connected together, so you have to isolate each one to test them.