Turbonetics turbo quality

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Doesn't seem like alot of diesel guys run turbonetics stuff. I really have no experience with them either but lately I have been doing alot of research on turbos for my compound/triple kit I plan on building.

If i go compounds then I'd like to use something in the 88mm range over my s472. Looking into gt4718 and also stumbled across precision pt88 and now turbonetics thumper/y2k t88.

Seems the garrett gtx/r chargers are the highest priced. Found some of the turbonetics t88's in the $1900 price range...BB, billet wheel, 101mm turbine with what ever choice you want on turbine housing. Now I'm unsure if these are genuine turbonetics turbos or knockoffs unless turbonetics stuff really is that inexpensive?

What are people's thoughts on turbonetics?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I think Rob Coddens used turbonetics chargers. He still may for all I know. Maybe he or Dustin will chime in.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
They look nice...but obviously looks aren't everything.

Looks like turbonetics even has something to compete with the gt5541r. Thumper t106.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It has to be cheaper for a reason, no?

Precision isn't too bad. They're just getting into diesel turbos though right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Anyone have any other first hand experience?

I was doing some research last night and it looks like alot of LS guys have used them with less than stellar results. Alot of people mention their warranty is good, hassle free. But their cars were down all the time due to turbo failures. Seems the most common failures I saw is bearing and bent shafts after making 2 or 3 WOT runs.

Probably wise to stick with garrett or borg.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Do triples. Big compounds completely suck to drive. :thumb: I always heard Turbonetics were junk, even back in my import days guys would talk bad about them.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I believe the aircraft engine manufacturer Continental uses turbonetics units on their TD300 engines. At least that is what they had on it in a video I watched the other day.

Service life requirements on that kind of thing are different than cars though. Although they pass strict requirements, that stuff gets overhauled every 2000hrs or so, depending on application and type.