Turbocharger Learn procedure needed?

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
After you change a turbo, do you need to have this turbo learn procedure done? Does EFI have a control to turn the vane position sensor on?

I am putting a Danville turbo in place of the stocker and just trying to read up on what I need to do..

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
The turbo will cycle the vains on its own once the coolant temp hits 140* IIRC. No need to do a relearn.

I have swapped VPS's, vain motors and complete turbos. Never did a relearn.

On the DroidX

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
well, 5 hours in, and I am ready to throw the new turbo and the new RDL towflow pipes on, but that will be tomorrow's job. I am quite thankful for you guys who have done this before mentioned various tidbits of info and the different tools to make sure are on hand.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I thought you were going to say you were ready to throw them across the shop. I know I've been THERE before! :roflmao:

Good luck getting it all buttoned up tomorrow. :thumb:

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
No I didn't do the 68mm. I wanted it for towing and the smaller one is supposed to be better with my 35's.

Sounds great, pulls good. Just got it done for a second time as I had a small oil leak from not tightening one bolt on oil return line.

Need to try towing with it now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
No I didn't do the 68mm. I wanted it for towing and the smaller one is supposed to be better with my 35's.

Sounds great, pulls good. Just got it done for a second time as I had a small oil leak from not tightening one bolt on oil return line.

im about to fix my oil leak in the same place

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard

Same leak happened to me. Gasket got messed up at install with out me knowing. Oil was EVERYWERE! Had to pull the whole turbo again.

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
yup... 11 hours the first time as I did EGR delete, changed oil and filter - start to finish

5.5 hours last night to pull the turbo and put it back in. Hopefully that is the last time for awhile though..

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
It definately is a pain in the ass and there is no easy way about doing it...I think ive got it down now on a "big" charger with a 2.5 inch spacer to a hour and a half with draging all tools out and putting them back together. LOL you get good at it each time you do it!