Turbo Vane Position code, do I get a new turbo system?

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So I have a stock, NEVER TUNED LBZ. Last time I towed the 5th wheel, I got a turbo vane position sensor code. Have not seen the code since I cleared it. Turbo, unloaded, sometimes makes a constant tone, not a whistle. If I don't plan on tuning, is there an upgrade to the existing turbo system or do I pull it and try and clean the vanes?n Truck has 190,000 miles. what do y'all think?

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Several reasons you may have gotten that code. Vane position sensors are known to fail even on stock untuned units over time. Given the low miles and lack of tuning, I would hope it's not the turbo being worn (but not out of the realm of possibility). How clean is the oil? Often times people who don't drive a lot, don't change the oil often and since the vanes are actuated via oil there's a SLIM chance it could be oil related. I'd keep an eye on it and budget for a vane position sensor in the future if the code keeps popping up and then go from there.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Several reasons you may have gotten that code. Vane position sensors are known to fail even on stock untuned units over time. Given the low miles and lack of tuning, I would hope it's not the turbo being worn (but not out of the realm of possibility). How clean is the oil? Often times people who don't drive a lot, don't change the oil often and since the vanes are actuated via oil there's a SLIM chance it could be oil related. I'd keep an eye on it and budget for a vane position sensor in the future if the code keeps popping up and then go from there.
I change oil every 3-5k. I drive it about 5 times a week, but it does take a few days off. I have read that If I do change the VPS, I have to do a relearn, and I don't have a Tech2 or equivalent "knock off". If I were to get a larger turbo system in the factory style housing, do I really HAVE to tune the truck, or will it run a touch better with a larger turbo?

Thanks in advance!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Be careful with upgrading the turbo. If you go too big, the lag will make the truck less responsive down low (especially with stock tuning), and it will feel (and probably be) slower. With a properly sized upgraded drop in, you can prevent the losses on the bottom end and you might pick up a tiny bit of power overall just because of the increased efficiency of the better turbo. It won't be a noticeable difference unless you have very highly sensitive butt-dyno.

As for the actual problem, without knowing the exact code, we are just guessing here. If it was a circuit code, it's likely a wiring issue or failing sensor, but if it's anything else, it could be a mechanical issue with the vanes. I don't see a lot of vane sticking problems, but it does happen from time to time. I've never had much luck with trying to clean the vanes and getting things working like they should, and as much work as it is to pull a turbo on an LBZ, I'm not sure it's worth the gamble.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Be careful with upgrading the turbo. If you go too big, the lag will make the truck less responsive down low (especially with stock tuning), and it will feel (and probably be) slower. With a properly sized upgraded drop in, you can prevent the losses on the bottom end and you might pick up a tiny bit of power overall just because of the increased efficiency of the better turbo. It won't be a noticeable difference unless you have very highly sensitive butt-dyno.

As for the actual problem, without knowing the exact code, we are just guessing here. If it was a circuit code, it's likely a wiring issue or failing sensor, but if it's anything else, it could be a mechanical issue with the vanes. I don't see a lot of vane sticking problems, but it does happen from time to time. I've never had much luck with trying to clean the vanes and getting things working like they should, and as much work as it is to pull a turbo on an LBZ, I'm not sure it's worth the gamble.

I was just gonna post the same thing. We just worked on one today with a P2563 code and that was the only code it had. Pull the sensor and the values were very erratic when depressing with my thumb. Put a new sensor in it and all is well.

It ONLY had that one code though, no others. More codes may suggest something else

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Sensor is easy enough to swap out, but I need to get a Tech II to program it, right?
I have done all the work on this myself so far, and I feel confident about changing that sensor. I just can't do the re-learn.
Anyone got a link to an off-brand TechII you like?