LB7: Turbo upgrade? Without going broke!

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
any turbo uprade is gonna cost $3000+ the cheapest would be the HTT Turbo... unless you can fabricate yourself then you could do it for well under $2000

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
the bd turbo also sucks:D you'd be much happier with the HTT and the stainless housing. Call Kat she can get you a good price

Have you ever ran one ? a stainless housing is the only difference ;) I got my BD for 2k even a few years back !

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The install kit is the same also , even uses the same pedistall ...........

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
The install kit is the same also , even uses the same pedistall ...........

I know that... when the BD was released all those years ago guys were over spinning them frequently. From what I have been told the BD and HTT are not the exact same turbo. Of course they are both S300's... but the bearings are different in the HTT are they not?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I know that... when the BD was released all those years ago guys were over spinning them frequently. From what I have been told the BD and HTT are not the exact same turbo. Of course they are both S300's... but the bearings are different in the HTT are they not?

I cant say , i have heard that brofe but dont know true it is , i didnt have bearing issue's with my BD but my turbo has a way of being upgraded/ tweeked about twice a year :eek::D If i was on a budget i would choose the BD , if i wanted the best S300 with all the bells and wistles i would choose the HTT , the stainless housing is sweet , but the cast will get the job done and leave $$ in your pocket .

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Here's a suggestion Justin. A PPE set up for a GT42 turbo w/no turbo. Then get a S464 from Airwerks with a .90A/R T4 exhaust (should have the 83/74 turbo side). The intake is easy to fab and you can probably use most of you existing parts for the intake. This turbo will be up gradeable to a 70mm, 72mm, 75mm, 80mm+ if needed in the future. It will run with a HTT turboed truck with this set up. Just a suggestion though. You wouldn't regret it. You can get into this for around $2200 straight up or even less with a few connections.

Last edited:

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
The HTT uses different bearings, a much higher flowing 66mm compressor (the BD is not the best flowing 64mm or it was and the compressor AR is .50 compared to the HTT of .56. Actually the first ones were 62mm's), and of course the SS housings. HTT built their own pedestal and the up pipes actually bolt up correctly.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
is there anyway to do a compressor wheel upgrade using the same turbo ? i know may not be to much diff but for sure alot cheaper just a though

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Here's a suggestion Justin. A PPE set up for a GT42 turbo w/no turbo. Then get a S464 from Airwerks with a .90A/R T4 exhaust (should have the 83/74 turbo side). The intake is easy to fab and you can probably use most of you existing parts for the intake. This turbo will be up gradeable to a 70mm, 72mm, 75mm, 80mm+ if needed in the future. It will run with a HTT turboed truck with this set up. Just a suggestion though. You wouldn't regret it. You can get into this for around $2200 straight up or even less with a few connections.

I agree that is a good plan for the $$ and plenty of room to grow later !

The HTT uses different bearings, a much higher flowing 66mm compressor (the BD is not the best flowing 64mm or it was and the compressor AR is .50 compared to the HTT of .56. Actually the first ones were 62mm's), and of course the SS housings. HTT built their own pedestal and the up pipes actually bolt up correctly.

Good info Nathan

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Thanks Guys!!

I'm going to run the stock turbo for a little while longer, hopefully we get some snow here this year and I can make the truck fund bigger. I wish I could figure out my stock turbo not spooling under a load too.

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY

I am saving this post for future reference :D