Truck won't shut off

kws808

Diesel Freak
Aug 16, 2006
Big Island,Hawaii
Well got home to night and went to shutoff the truck and it wouldn't turnoff.I cycled the ignition a few time and still nothing. I ended up having to disconnect the bail connector on the engine to get the engine to turn off. So what do you guys think ?.. I am hoping it is just a bad ignition switch but wanted to get everyone's input..

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Lol, I haven't heard of a common-rail diesel doing that! We used to have that happen from time to time on the old mechanical diesels when the shut-off solenoid stuck (though it was equally common for them to just die for the same reason).

I'd guess a bad ignition switch, or some pinched wires under the dash. The engine computer gets a good chunk of its power from the ignition circuit, so it shouldn't be able to keep running when that shuts off.

I can try and find the electrical diagrams when I get home on Monday. If it does it again, you can probably pull the IGN1 fuse and get it to turn off that way. Probably less likely to bump hot parts that way. Also, I think there is a relay in the under-hood electrical center that will shut it off. Perhaps that is sticking?

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
Do you have an AirDog installed? I did, and the relays went bad in the wiring harness that they supplied- I cut them out and put the pump on a switch and all is fixed. GOOD LUCK Steven

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
^^^ I don't see how the Airdog would make the truck continue to run. It's not linked to any part of the ECM or anything, my relay wire is just hooked to a Key on hot wire to turn the airdog on when the key goes on.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
^^^ I don't see how the Airdog would make the truck continue to run. It's not linked to any part of the ECM or anything, my relay wire is just hooked to a Key on hot wire to turn the airdog on when the key goes on.

If you keep the ignition circuit energized, the truck will not shut off.

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
^^^ Seems like he has a switch problem then keeping a circuit energized and not an Airdog problem lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
id also make sure the glowplug relay aint bad (if the LLY have them, i know the LB7s have them back by the turbo). mine when bad and back fed power to the fuse block, keeping the motor and everything running like i never shut the truck off

kws808

Diesel Freak
Aug 16, 2006
Big Island,Hawaii
Thanks for all of the ideas guys That gives me somewhere to start.I will start tearing in to it this weekend and let you guys know how it goes...

blue5292

Jan 11, 2015
Well as odd as it sounds I had the same problem with my lly. thought it was the edge, unhooked it all and still same problem. truck just would not shut off. I have a Fass not airdog but same idea. Had the ignition wired hooked to power box under dash. worked 6 months no problems, hooked up a stereo and used same terminal for ignition seeing as I new it was a good ignition source. 6 months no problem, then one day truck wouldn't turn off. I read this post and laughed about the airdog thought. figured shits and giggles I would unplug radio wire, low a behold truck turns on and off fine now. somehow it must of been backfeeding the ignition or something along those lines. just wanted to drop my findings on here.

08lmm123

Dec 18, 2018
Truck wont shut off

New to this forum but i am having same problem with my 08lmm, only way to shut truck off is open the door. Anyone have a ideas? The truck has 65kmiles, Plow, sander, and moonshine tunes. It also had BCM replaced about 6 months ago