Truck lopes after dual cp3 install

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I put together my own dual cp3 kit using fingers controller. Now it lopes. I have new tunes coming as I have made a bunch of other changes this year also. Is tuning going to help? Both cp3 are lbz with lbz reg. I was told my second pump was in good shape by the buyer, but who knows. I check all my connections on both reg. and they are fine. Maybe il just have to wait and log it. Also the return line in the valley by the valley pump reg, is that supposed to get hot?
Thank
Adam

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if the tables for the FPR have not been adjusted for the LBZ reg you have, it can cause a lope.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
The tuning in the truck right now is for a lbz pump,i put a lbz pump in it 2 years ago or so.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a pump doesnt have much to do with lope, normally its the FPR as i stated. im assuimg you used the LBZ FPR as well in the new pump 2 years ago?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Did you do anything with the lift pump?
I know that the engine sort of idles "choppy" or lopes if the feed line pressure to the CP3 is set too high.

I'm curious about the hot return line, I'd imagine it gets pretty warm due to the work the CP3 does pressurizing the fuel and the fuel returning is unused fuel from the CP3 and the fuel also acts as a sort of a cooling/lubricating medium for the pump, but I'd also imagine that there is a point that's too hot and might indicate a problem?

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
a pump doesnt have much to do with lope, normally its the FPR as i stated. im assuimg you used the LBZ FPR as well in the new pump 2 years ago?

Yes I meant lbz fpr also, should have said that. I'm thinking that's what it is. I guess ill have to wait to get the tune in it and go from there.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I know that the engine sort of idles "choppy" or lopes if the feed line pressure to the CP3 is set too high.

I'm curious about the hot return line, I'd imagine it gets pretty warm due to the work the CP3 does pressurizing the fuel and the fuel returning is unused fuel from the CP3 and the fuel also acts as a sort of a cooling/lubricating medium for the pump, but I'd also imagine that there is a point that's too hot and might indicate a problem?

As far as the return line, I'm not sure but it was hot not warm but hot? I have know idea why. I did put a new lift pump on also as y old one took a crap. I had a little time to mess with it earlier and i reset it to 10psi and no change.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
As far as the return line, I'm not sure but it was hot not warm but hot? I have know idea why. I did put a new lift pump on also as y old one took a crap. I had a little time to mess with it earlier and i reset it to 10psi and no change.

So you have a psi gauge somewhere in your feed line coming from the lift pump? Or are you going by the preset psi and turns on the regulator valve on the pump to estimate the pressure output from the pump? I had to dial mine WAY back to get rid of the idle lope and my pump was supposed to be set for my trucks needs. Judging by what the manufacturer was supposed to have it set at and the turns I backed the regulator off, I'm probably only using 6-8psi from the pump.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the hot return line, but IIRC it scalded my forearm/wrist before when I was tinkering in the engine bay...

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
So you have a psi gauge somewhere in your feed line coming from the lift pump? Or are you going by the preset psi and turns on the regulator valve on the pump to estimate the pressure output from the pump? I had to dial mine WAY back to get rid of the idle lope and my pump was supposed to be set for my trucks needs. Judging by what the manufacturer was supposed to have it set at and the turns I backed the regulator off, I'm probably only using 6-8psi from the pump.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the hot return line, but IIRC it scalded my forearm/wrist before when I was tinkering in the engine bay...
Yes I have an external gauge for my lift pump. I took it way down and nothing changed so I just put it back to 10psi. I don't know what the deal is with the return line. I guess I'm going to have to tear into it again and find out. I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm down to two things as far as te lope. Most likely it's fpr. But I have also seen on a buddies puller where he was running one battery and didnt out a tender on it and when it started it was loping like mine is now. We switched batteries and it was fine so it was a voltage problem. Considering my truck hasn't moved in about 8 months and I don't even know how old the battery I am using is, I'm going to start there since I know I need a new one. Everytime I go to my parents and mess with it I have to job it because the battery is dead. Don't be too hard on me, I'm just thinking out loud. Haha

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

adding a second pump should hardly add much to the return line at all if all is in good shape. its not there for pressure relief like a gasser system.

Yes I meant lbz fpr also, should have said that. I'm thinking that's what it is. I guess ill have to wait to get the tune in it and go from there.

See what the new tuning does then go from there. "technically" you shouldnt have to change tuning for the dual fueler for rail pressure at idle type deals unless the tune you have now was just on the cusp of loping and the extra volume of fuel you have now and possible little difference in exact placment of the slide valve in the FPR are enough to throw it off and lope.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
See what the new tuning does then go from there. "technically" you shouldnt have to change tuning for the dual fueler for rail pressure at idle type deals unless the tune you have now was just on the cusp of loping and the extra volume of fuel you have now and possible little difference in exact placment of the slide valve in the FPR are enough to throw it off and lope.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'll do. I see if I can post a video so you can see for yourselves. Thanks for all the replys.