Truck got rear-ended today

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Well sad day... My 2022 Duramax got rear ended today by a careless mom with her baby in the back. She was going about 25mph, truck was parked. Anything to look for? I'm guessing the bed, bumper and possibly tailgate will get replaced as well as all hardware and plastic. Any concern for the drivetrain? Transmission?

Attachments

• PXL_20231018_015302188.jpg
    PXL_20231018_015302188.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Sad
Reactions: darkness

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Doesn't look too bad. Get under and measure in a X pattern the frame. Try to measure from points far forward and rearwards to maximize the accuracy. If the frame looks good then measure from a reference point to the rear axle. Both H and X pattern and see if anything look off. Probably gonna need a helper to make the measurements

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Well sad day... My 2022 Duramax got rear ended today by a careless mom with her baby in the back. She was going about 25mph, truck was parked. Anything to look for? I'm guessing the bed, bumper and possibly tailgate will get replaced as well as all hardware and plastic. Any concern for the drivetrain? Transmission?
That Sucks!

It doesn't look too bad. Considering the damage (while shitty to have it happen to you) looks like only sheet metal damage, so I'm going to say the driveline is fine. The parking pawl would be my only concern if the truck was parked. Maybe the tranny guru's can chime in but I don't think it would be anything to worry about as they seem pretty stout.

Although it doesn't look like it got that high or far in, I would make sure sure the tailgate/hardware/hinges did not sustain any damage and check to make sure it opens/closes smoothly post repair and gaps are good as that is usually the problem area with repairs in that section.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry it happened, but it can be repaired. Looks like its just bed damage to me. Just tell your body shop you have concerns about the frame and they will look into it.