Trouble with WIF sensor!

bullman1355

Jan 11, 2017
Hello I have a 2007.5 Silverado with 6.6L Duramax. I Changed the fuel filter and ended up twisting off the two wires connecting the WIF sensor. Went to NAPA and got a new one and plugged it in and installed it on the new filter. Now I have a message saying "Water in fuel service required". Tried clearing the code but keeps coming back on every time the key is turned on. Has anyone had this happen to them? Anyone have a solution?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
pull the sensor off and verify that the float is siting on the bottom.

Before plugging it in to do the following test, turn key on and check for warning message. If you get the message with out the sensor plugged in, there is something else wrong.

If no warning with above test, plug sensor in, turn key on and see if it says water in fuel. If so, sensor is bad or built backwards. If not, flip sensor upside down so that the float goes to the top of the post and repeat key cycle if message goes away, sensor built backwards.

If all of that comes out normal, put sensor in clear container and full with diesel, observe float to see that it is sitting at the bottom of the sensor post. If it floats, then the float is built incorrectly as it should only float on top of water not fuel.