Allison 5sp: Transfer case fluid

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Alright I have searched and searched but can't find the thread I'm thinking about. At least I think there was a thread regarding transfer case fluid. Seems like I remember ppl using synthetic motor oil in them? Or maybe I'm thinking of one I read about regarding the zf6 tranny.

Regardless, is a light synthetic motor oil better for the transfer case than ATF? Or should I just stick with good ATF?

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
5w-30 full syn was suggested by Mike L for those who do not often check their t-case fluid level and have issues with evaporation in the case.

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
5w-30 full syn was suggested by Mike L for those who do not often check their t-case fluid level and have issues with evaporation in the case. ATF is the best lubricant for the t-case but because i dont check the case as much as i should, i run 5w-30 full syn.

This must have been what I saw at some point. Any negative effects from using it? I'm one of those bums that neglects to check fluids as often as I should to

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
And there is the thread. Thanks slammed. I knew it was somewhere. I just couldn't make the good old tappytalk find it :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This must have been what I saw at some point. Any negative effects from using it? I'm one of those bums that neglects to check fluids as often as I should to

I edited my post as what I originally said is incorrect

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Seeing how most of you guys are from down south where it's warm. Does anyone in the northern areas run engine oil in there t-case? U found some 0W-20 full synthetic and was wondering if that'll work. I'm worried about shifting issues when it's cold.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm running AMSOIL syncromesh fluid in mine. It is very simliar to ATF, but formulated for a manual trans. It has a 5W30 rating on it, but has a slightly different viscosity when you look at the MSDS sheets. It has a slighly lower viscosity when cold, but slightly thicker when hot. it is very simliar to the fluid that goes into the NV3500 trans. Only downfall i have found is it is some slick stuff and always seems to find a way to seep a little around the seals.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ive been running syn. 75w-140 and 75w-90 in mine since 80k I have 221k on the transfer now. I recently changed it with just shy of 100k on the oil and it looked great. slight darkness and no metal shavings.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Seeing how most of you guys are from down south where it's warm. Does anyone in the northern areas run engine oil in there t-case? U found some 0W-20 full synthetic and was wondering if that'll work. I'm worried about shifting issues when it's cold.

I run 3 qts. syn. 5w30 in mine. I have used 4x4 in temps as low as -50. So far so good.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ive been running syn. 75w-140 and 75w-90 in mine since 80k I have 221k on the transfer now. I recently changed it with just shy of 100k on the oil and it looked great. slight darkness and no metal shavings.

I feel bad for the pump in your case trying to move that syrup on a cold morning.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
5w30

I have been running 3 quarts of 5w30 in the lb7 tcase for 20k so far. I think the bushing and yoke would have been completely trashed if I was still running ATF. It is time for me to replace bushing on tail shaft housing & yoke but hell the 5-30 synthetic is working!:thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I feel bad for the pump in your case trying to move that syrup on a cold morning.

I don't, It was slinging oil everywhere at 70k, I replaced the driveshaft, yoke and seal at 100k, at 130k I thought I felt bad and put 5w-30 in it for like a week and it leaked after 2+ hr drives to and from work. So I put 75w back in it. If it flies apart I'll buy a new one.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Well mine is getting changed in the morning. I am really really hoping I drain out at least close to 2 quarts of nice clean tranny fluid from it and not a few drops of burned up black tar like I did out of my buddy's 05 lly. And I'm really really really really hoping mine doesn't puke it all back out through a pump rub hole in the top like his did after we fille it back up :(