trans problem

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
Ok the truck ran fine for a week after I got it back up and now its going to third like its limped and every now and again the dash will shift range inhibited
So what do you guys think I'm lost
Thank you vray much for the help

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You have a way to get codes? Limp could be caused by by a bunch of things and wthout the codes, there's almost no way to know what's going on. And autozone will not b able to get tcm codes. They'll only get a p0700 from the ecm.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
Ok here's my big bunch of codes
p0700
P0768
P0763
P0773
P0841
P0871

So how bad off am i:eek:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Psm? Or do you think a could get away with swaping the whole valve body

Why yank the whole VB? The PSM is three bolts and one electrical connector... much easier than swapping the entire VB.

Mike, would the PSM cause the C, D & E solenoid electrical codes?

WTF, the codes mean:

p0700 - TCM Request MIL
P0768 - Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical
P0763 - Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical
P0773 - Shift Solenoid "E" Electrical
P0841 - Pressure Switch "C" Stuck Open/Performance
P0871 - Pressure Switch "E" Stuck Open/Performance

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why yank the whole VB? The PSM is three bolts and one electrical connector... much easier than swapping the entire VB.

Mike, would the PSM cause the C, D & E solenoid electrical codes?

WTF, the codes mean:

p0700 - TCM Request MIL
P0768 - Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical
P0763 - Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical
P0773 - Shift Solenoid "E" Electrical
P0841 - Pressure Switch "C" Stuck Open/Performance
P0871 - Pressure Switch "E" Stuck Open/Performance

The codes mean there is an electrical problem or a bunch of valves are stuck. Never seen more than one valve stuck, usualy E shift valve. I'm betting electrical. When you see that many valve body codes it means the TCM is seeing -40F. HMMMMM.

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
ok well is it possable for some one to post up a pic of the psm and help me on the removal iv never dipped in to a trans and im a little lost
thank you all for the help

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Check your external electrical connections first. Look for corrosion or broken wires in the round trans connector and the red TCM connector. Also inspect the entire length of the harness between the trans and TCM to see if it is pinched or rubbed through somewhere. This all only takes a few minutes and is easier than dropping the pan.

Here's a pic of the VB:

r-DSCF3975.JPG

That happens to be a 6 speed, so don't expect yours to look exactly like that. Anyway, see the blue module with the tin cover on the left side? That is the PSM.

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
Thank you for the pic I got the psm swaped out
And still throwing codes sonow I'm going to change the solenods it looks like the. Trans is a 01 or 02 becouse it dosent have that solenod up at the passnger front do you think I will have to change tcms

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Did you check the external connections and carefully check the external harness along it's length like I said in my previous post? The problem is most likely there. Throwing parts at the VB hoping one of them will fix the problem is the last thing you do IMO.

Look for corrosion in the connectors - peel back the rubber insulators on the wire side with a pick and look for green corrosion. Automotive OE's are cheap asses and use unplated copper wire, hoping no moisture will ever weep past the connector seals and cause an issue while the truck is still under warranty. Usually, it works, but the trans connector in particular is in a very vulnerable position for water contamination. Check the TCM connectors as well. And finally, run along the length of the harness and look for chafing against the body or other components that might rub through. Be meticulous in this.