Trans getting hot out of no where

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
Have had the same combo of parts and tuning for the better part of 10 years now. Trans has been fine until yesterday. Driving about 2 hours from home in ambient temps around 80 degrees, truck unloaded on highway for most of the drive the temps hit 225 which is way higher then normal, coolant temp was about 180. Same drive home this morning temps around 65* the trans never hit 200. Return trip towing my trailer about 5000# this evening and had to pull off and let things cool off. Hit 244* today towing. Same trailer for the last ten years with similar loads as well. Fluid has about 50k on it, as does the internal filter, spin on is about 20k or so. Supposed to tow to Florida leaving Saturday but cant with this heating up this way. Shift are great even at those higher temps, and the converter locks as it has for years. Trans has suncoast kit in it from years ago and 1057 converter.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Converter is probably shedding material and plugging the cooler up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
Checked the converter with tech 2, slip speed was good. Fluctuated between negative and positive 5. Going to change the fluid and filters and cross my fingers.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I would remove the trans cooler lines at the radiator, and look inside for pieces of clutch material. The cooler in the radiator is where many seem to have them plug up with clutch debris. If you find chunks of debris, just remember it has to come from somewhere, so don't roll the dice if you find any chunks. Otherwise have you checked with an IR temp gun to see if it's actually getting hot or not?

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
After fluid and filter change things improved greatly. Towing around 8-9k in 95+ oat down to Florida the trans was steady in the 220 range, would cool after slowing down and perform pretty good. Would like to get it lower as this is going to be my new home after a few more trips up and down the east coast. Thinking a new cooler from mike will do the trick. I'm here in fla for a few weeks would like to do it before heading back to ct. does any one know where can i buy one that would not require a million bucks in ovn shipping fees but get here in the next week?