Trailer winch capacity

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Looking for recommendations on an electric trailer winch to mount directly to the trailer. It's an 18ft dove tail so the ramp angle isn't too steep. Need something with enough capacity to pull a dmax up, but don't want to go overkill and break the bank either. Since it's rolling weight would a 6k be enough or should it be closer to 8k? I'm sure a harbor freight special would get the job done but i'd rather spend the money for a Warn or similar quality and have it last more than a year or 2.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
We use the harbor freight unit and it works great for no more than you will be using it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah I run a 12k harbor freight on my gooseneck. It's drug a few broken Ford's and Duramax up my pretty steep ramps

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I prefer the 12-15k. Winch weight rating is rated based on the last winding of the rope. As the rope winds up, capacity reduces. Basically, it’s lowest geared with one winding left but as it fills, rotations become bigger/faster and reduce power.

That said, you can always put a pulley on the truck and Bring the winch line back to the front of the trailer. This effectively doubles winch pulling power at the cost of half the speed.

The 8k will do it with a pulley. Without it, it will struggle unless the ramps are smooth (not the ladder style). The 12k will pull it without issue and no pulley. For the price difference, I’d by the 12k.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
It will only be used a few times a year at most so harbor freight special it is! Yea the ramps are ladder style and are quite annoying for loading anything other than a vehicle.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have a 12k Harbor Freight winch sitting in my shop awaiting my new 40ft gooseneck.

My old trailer was a 20ft PJ Quick Tilt with an 8k winch (super winch) and it towed up anything as long as it rolled.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I've got a Warn 10K lb. and I mounted it on a plate with a hitch adapter and put hitches and plugs on the front and rear of both my trucks and also on our gooseneck and small trailer. Don't use it much but it comes on handy when I need it and it's nice not having it committed to one thing. You can see it under this tractor. I've used it to winch big tractors on the other trailer and unstick myself in the dmax in my yard once, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5883.jpg
    IMG_5883.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 37