trailer brake light ???

bluepittsrace

bow ties or nothing
Jan 8, 2014
circleville,ohio
Im sorry if this is in wrong place but didn't know where else to put it I have 2005 2500 hd having light issue all lights work on truck and all lights work on trailer except right brake light on trailer ive traced it back through plug into truck everywhere I check I have turn but no brake and only right side can anyone tell me where the brake wire and turn wire together I thought it was turn signal switch but 150.00 later that's not it so need to test some more before buying anything else any help or ideas would be great and better if someone has had this in past

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Seems like 01-02 trucks have a separate fuse for trailer brake lights. I'll look when I get to my truck. I would think if you have turn on the trailer you should have brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Just so that you are aware, there isn't a separate brake light that feeds back to the trailer. Look at a diagram of a 7-pin RV connector and you won't find a 'brake' light. The same circuit that makes each side flasher work also creates the 'brake' light - when both sides are on. If you have turn signals lit up on both sides of your trailer, you should have brake light.
I suggest you see if you borrow or buy one of these testers: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=curt+58270

It will display to you what the output is at the plug. So if you don't see a 'brake' light (both turn signals lit simultaneously), you know the problem is in the truck, not the trailer. Be aware that there are separate fuses for the turn signals for the truck and for the trailer. Look at the inside of the lid of your fuse box in the engine compartment and find and test any fuse in the problem circuit. Please use a tester or a substitute fuse, not just look at the fuse.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Connect power from the brake light at the other side. Solved!

I would start by tracing the wire with a tester from in the cab where the trailer plug connects. Then you'll know if you need to go back in the truck or towards the trailer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk