Trading up vs. Keeping

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Just a general question, the winter is getting to me :rofl:

My 05 has ~160k on it, stock trans, most "bolt ons" done, has a year or so and then it owes me nothing. Usually does 20mpg with summer fuel and I only tow at most a two car trailer.

Priced out a new truck this morning and just bare bones CCSB is +60k :eek: So, other than the obvious interior and technology upgrades a new truck would get me, what does a new truck get me over my current setup?

The way I look at it is, either drop the 5k on a built trans for when my stocker gives up the ghost, or look at trading it in.

Basically looking for reasons you keep your truck around, or trade it in for a newer model.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I absolutely love my 2015. Much more comfortable and luxurious than my LMM I had. No regrets here other than my loss of power! Deleted and tuned, runs great for daily driving.

It's just money... They print it every day!

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
New truck gets you payments and more looks from hott women. Old truck keeps money in your pocket and less desirable honeys. :roflmao:

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I absolutely love my 2015. Much more comfortable and luxurious than my LMM I had. No regrets here other than my loss of power! Deleted and tuned, runs great for daily driving.

It's just money... They print it every day!

If I got a brand new truck I would be very very hestitant to do anything that would void warrenty, which is why I would be hesitant to ditch my current tuned/deleted truck.

Payments.

This is the huge reason for me as well, gonna enjoy the no payment bubble for awhile. New truck essentially doubles the payment on current truck. :mad:

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
New truck gets you payments and more looks from hott women. Old truck keeps money in your pocket and less desirable honeys. :roflmao:

Lol. I'd be willing to bet 95 % of women could not tell the difference between an 08 and a 15 just looking at it. I'd bet a lot couldn't see a difference between new and your lly.

hotdogstand

May 27, 2013
Norfolk, VA
I was considering the same thing until I realized the payments would rival my mortgage! Now I think I'm going to wait it out a year or two and look for a gently used '13

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
You can have one bad a** built LLY for the price of a new rig that you have to go dump money into to make it the way you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
One of the main reasons I have been looking to upgrade is my LLY is a RCLB, and that is a super fun ride with my two labs and girlfriend...:roflmao:

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
Go for a used LLY or LBZ crew or extended cab. I found a good deal on my LBZ, low miles and everything already built.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Go for a used LLY or LBZ crew or extended cab. I found a good deal on my LBZ, low miles and everything already built.

I'd also look at a good used CCSB or ECSB LBZ. Not that I'm biased or anything.:D
Personally, I won't buy a new Dmax until they do a major revamp on the interior. The payments to buy a truck that has had minimal changes to the interior since '08 just isn't worth it to me.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
I look at a 3500 LB CC 4x 2015 yesterday 47k OTD. Employee discount really helps. Also looked at a dodge and they are 2k cheaper. Got to have a 1 ton cc 4x

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
A 3/4 ton diesel is overkill for me, a dually would be pushing it big time :roflmao:

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I'd also look at a good used CCSB or ECSB LBZ. Not that I'm biased or anything.:D
Personally, I won't buy a new Dmax until they do a major revamp on the interior. The payments to buy a truck that has had minimal changes to the interior since '08 just isn't worth it to me.

Have you seen the new '15s? Interior is nicer than the LMM and blows my loaded lbz out of the water..

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Have you seen the new '15s? Interior is nicer than the LMM and blows my loaded lbz out of the water..

It's better no doubt. I like the gauge display. But still not a fan of the rest. Too many of the same style knobs IMO. And for some reason all of the ones I looked at had that ugly fake wood. I hate that shit. I'd like to see a back seat that folded down like the classic style, or at least had a flat floor. I like the storage behind the seat like my LBZ has also.
For 75g for the one with the options I want, not including another 8g for rims tires and a lift, I'll wait it out and see what the '17 or maybe the '20 looks like.:D Hopefully they redo that hideous front end on the Chevy.

Besides I like my payments - 0 Dollars at 0% interest!

Just my opinions. If another person likes it then don't let me sway you from buying. End of the day you still get the best engine and transmission combo on the market right now.