TPMS Relearn

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Anyone done a relearn on the TPMS system when rotating tires or installing new ones? 2012 LML 2500HD, tried the tire pressure way (increase or decrease) couldn't get it to recognize the new tires.

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
You will either have to take it back to the dealer or you have to purchase a tpms tool to relearn the new locations. I tried and tried on my sisters yukon denali and finally had to purchase a tpms tool. Now I can activate new sensors, check sensors, many many things. But I run several sets of tires through too. So it was worth it for me. You might be able to stop at your local dealer and they should be able to do it for you for free. It won't take 2 min.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Hold the lock and unlock button on the fob while the key is turned forward but engine isn't running. It should go into tpms learn. Then let out or add air to the left front and go clockwise around the vehicle. A horn will chirp every time it senses the sensor. There will be a parking light on for the tire you will be doing. When you do all four it should honk twice once completed.

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
The TPMS relearn mode with the releasing of air in each tire only works up to through the 2010 models I believe. 11 and and newer models require the tpms tool or gm dealer to relearn. Look in owners manual.

Dave Shane

Sep 28, 2014
sorry to bring up an old thread.
GM blocked the DIY procedure on the newer trucks/cars. My buddy is a tech at a GMC dealership and told me that on the late 2011's and all 2012's truck the DIY procedure of letting the air out of the tires won't work. I bought a Kent-Moore EL-50448 reset toolfor $49.99 shipped to my door that works on all GM vehicles. Seems that's the only way to do it or go to the dealership every time I rotated my tires.
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/el-50448-tpms-activation-tool-oec-t5.html