LML Torque Lug Nuts

chris199

Chris from PA
Nov 27, 2013
Have '13 3500HD. For 25,000 miles so far have been doing oil and filter changes, tranny filter changes, and tire rotations myself. Figure I have saved hundreds of dollars so far.

Question on torque on lug nuts....stupid one probably. ...manual calls for 140 ft lbs torque. I usually just torque them manually. Any downside to using sears impact driver with up to 200 ft lbs torque? Bad idea?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't trust just pounding the lug nuts on with an impact. Damage the stud by over tightening and you can have a real issue. I always use a torque wrench.

standy

Jun 22, 2009
Royal Oak, Mi.
I agree....always use a torque wrench. Back in my younger days, I always rattled them tight with an impact. Then I had my front wheel come off while driving. By over tightening my lug nuts repeatedly, it stressed the studs, and they broke off. Lesson learned. :eek:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
If I'm not torquing them myself, I always watch the tire guys to make sure they are torqued properly by hand. Been years since I had flat tire along the road but the last time it happened the tire monkeys torqued the lugnuts so tight I couldn't break them loose by hand. Don't wanna have that happen again!