Torque converter stall size

Aug 20, 2017
Virginia
Hey guy, I'm still pretty new here but I had a question about torque converters, I'm currently rebuilding my transmission and wanted to install a goerend R model which is 2000-2200 stall and the dude i ordered it from ordered be a Y(2500-2700) stall and said that that would be the best fit for my application and all with what I have done to the truck, I need help before I put it in to decide whether to try it or go and get one with a lower stall

Aug 20, 2017
Virginia
Yes it is still the 3794, my next question is if I went up to a Danville Performance 72mm or their 68mm stg2r1 what would be the best stall converter for it?

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I had the "R" converter with the St2 3794 and later added the 68R1. Mike L just built my 2nd trans with the billet internals and the "K" converter. This change has turned my truck into an animal and a blast to drive ! I would do a little more research before you make your move.

Aug 20, 2017
Virginia
That's the reason I made this thread to see what people had to say, the guy who bought it for me said it was the right setup, still not sold I called Mark at Danville and he told me I would either love it or I'd hate it, he also agreed eith my original thought that the "R" was probably the best option. I haven't really had much input anywhere besides Mark and now yours

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
If Evan and Mark both say go with the R. Go with the R. Plain and simple. I'd trust them over someone local any day. Especially if you told him get an R and he pretty much ignored that and got what he thought would be best. It's your truck not his.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I was always manually shifting because it was doggie and smokey. I was running a stock sized tire and now I am on a 305/50/20, 373 gear. With this "K" set-up, it just seems way more responsive. Not to mention, when you stab the throttle into a little roll... you'd better have that thing pointed in the direction you want to go. It can become a handful in a hurry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017
Virginia
The reason I ask is because on goerends website, for ordering it shows a "k" and not a "y" but farther down it in details it shows a "y" and not a "k" and in both places it shows them as 2500-2700 stall speeds

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I am not aware of the "Y" but I would suggest your contacting "The Professor/Mike L" and discuss your your application.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The reason I ask is because on goerends website, for ordering it shows a "k" and not a "y" but farther down it in details it shows a "y" and not a "k" and in both places it shows them as 2500-2700 stall speeds

When will you guys learn that stall gets you out of the hole and that's it. After that it means nothing and yet you guys only are concerned with stall.
Coupling is where you need to concern yourselves ( power to the rear wheels asap ) You can have many different converters stalled the same and some of them will nock your socks off and some are total dogs. But after you launch, what happens then?
Most so called builders couldn't pick the correct converter for your truck to save their lives.
Choosing converters properly comes with experience and hundreds of test drives with different trucks and mods.

Aug 20, 2017
Virginia
Thanks for filling me in and helping me out with it, I don't have much knowledge about it so anything helps and I appreciate. I just wasn't sure because of how their site was set up and that in one spot it's a "k" and no"y" and the next spot there is a "y" but no "k" therefore I didn't know if they were suppose to be the same or if they were different and their site is messed up, I'll call you and talk to you in the morning if you don't mind mike

Jun 20, 2012
Corpus Christi
When will you guys learn that stall gets you out of the hole and that's it. After that it means nothing and yet you guys only are concerned with stall.
Coupling is where you need to concern yourselves ( power to the rear wheels asap ) You can have many different converters stalled the same and some of them will nock your socks off and some are total dogs. But after you launch, what happens then?
Most so called builders couldn't pick the correct converter for your truck to save their lives.
Choosing converters properly comes with experience and hundreds of test drives with different trucks and mods.

Josh put an X into mine with a billet stator when he built my trans. The coupling is awesome! Of course I don't run near the power level other guys do.