Torque Converter Noise?

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
My torque converter is making a clanking or rattling noise at idle. goes away at higher rpm. i thought my truck was sounding a little wierd, so i crawled under and noticed the noise. took of the inspection plate and it was even louder. kinda looks like the converter is wobbling back and fourth a little. So i took out my starter and made sure all the tc bolts were in still, they were all in. any thoughts on this.:confused:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Are you sure all the bolts are in? I know you checked, but that could be a problem, also how has the tranny been shifting? I would check your spin on and see if there is any material in and on it, Maybe a broken flex plate? I'm no expert but those are what I think can be making the noise.

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
I'm thinking broken flex plate also. I'm sure all the bolts are in. I felt each and every one. I think a few days ago I heard a scraping noise in there also. but im not sure.

LLY

Diesel Addict
Apr 24, 2008
Idaho
Mine started doing the same thing, about 2 days after I put the trans back in my truck,it turned out to be the torque converter bolts came lose.

Cobra#3747

Jan 2, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
1. Make sure every bolt is loose

2. generally a cracked flywheel makes more of a knocking noise than a rattle.

3. does it go away when you put in gear? If so, more than likely its just the triple clutch setup makeing noise in the converter.

LLY

Diesel Addict
Apr 24, 2008
Idaho
Mine went away when I would put it in gear but it got worse and would do it all the time.Never has done it since I retightend the bolts

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
Im going to take my starter back out and make sure the bolts are tight when i cheked it yesterday i just made sure they were in. it also is kinda a nocking noise i guess?

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
I tightened them all by hand, and i tightened them down all in one shot. I cheked it out some more through the inspection cover tonight;rotated the converter all the way around. there was no cracks in the flexplate that i could see and all the places were the converter bolts on, were tight. Looks like the converter wobbles a little, And the noise is there when in park or drive.and as the rpms rise so does the speed of the noise untill it goes away at about1/2 trottle witch after listening to it with the inspection cover off could best be described as a clanking, seems to make the sound about every revolution.
When my truck idles it sounds like a ford:mad:

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
The converter could be slightly misaligned by doing that. You need to thread all the bolts into place before you tighten them down. Since you tightened them all by hand I am confident that you did not cross thread any of them but that doesn't mean that its not tweaked. I would get in there again with a wrench and be sure double double check them all. Also, just because you cannot see a crack in the flex plate doesn't mean it is not cracked. Search the DP for threads and pictures.

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
Im thinking it might be cracked but im really not sure? cant really see much through the inspection hole. if it was misalinded wouldnt it have been rattling from the day i put it in? could i have hurt the converter would it rattle from internal damage?

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
A misalignment could take some time to "wiggle" loose. You would not have hurt the converter or anything else if bolts have come loose or if you would have misaligned it. You would need to pull the whole trans back out to see if the flex plate was cracked.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
You may have cracked the flexplate since you tightened the bolts up right as you put them in also instead of torqing them evenly. I guess I'm over cautious, but I would get every bolt started, then snug them in a cris/cross pattern and then hit them with an impact in a criss/cross pattern. Make sure you put loc-tite on the bolts if you take them out before you put them back in.

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
Ok guys guy i think i might have figuresd this out. so last time i put the trans back in, after it was all in, i find one of the alignment pins that are in the bellhousing on the ground. anyway i didnt think it would matter but sound to me like it does.i forgot about this untill I saw a thread on the dp about it.i gues ill try and put that baby back in and see if that helps.

last_one

Mar 22, 2008
Good news I Checked My torque converter bolts and two of them had backed out a turn or two, tightened them back up and noise went away:D Also found a leek in my exguast and fixed a ujoint that was going bad. I wanna thank u guys for helping me out This place is awsome!