Allison 6sp: Torque converter lock up

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
This is gonna sound super stupid and blow everyone's mind , but I do not understand torque converter lock up as in what it dose why it dose it the benefit of it the whole shabang I have read and googled and searched slept on top of text books hoping for the osmosis effect but for whatever reason transmission and torque converters are witch craft and wizardry, that being said I see lots of people getting the alli locker and other manual lock up devices and want to know more about it so I can make the decision on if maybe I need/want one or not. So what I'm asking is for someone to break it down to me in the simplest of ways, like the KISS method took Barney by the tail and beat me in the head simple. Thanks and sorry to make your brains hurt with this.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'll risk embarrassing myself by answering :) I think lockup is the easiest part to understand in the whole Torque Converter conversation. In the most simplest explanation, the torque converter ceases being a fluid coupling between the engine and the transmission, and locks it's input/output to directly connect the engine and trans. The act itself is simple, but when you start making power beyond stock and have a stronger converter, acceptable controlling of this function becomes difficult for the Allison software to handle. The Allison tries to protect the torque converter as though it is the stock unit and not a robust aftermarket unit capable of locking up even where there's slip that would be detrimental to the factory parts. We add the lockbox to force the application of lockup when it isn't happening to our satisfaction otherwise. The box is also used to force an unlock when needed by pullers in competition at the end of their run (as I understand it; no direct experience there).

With the Dmax's abundant torque, and low RPM ceiling, it's important to get proper lockup for max performance. Without it, my truck won't lockup until redline at 3rd, wherein it then drops 500rpms and redlines again and shifts to fourth. In that time, I'm going nowhere as the fluid coupling is slipping like mad and the truck needs lockup to put the power to the ground.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
What are your plans for the truck?
The TC is a fluid coupling from the engine to the trans because autos don't have a clutch like a standard. It allows a certain amount of slip to stop and go. This slip is a loss of efficiency thus the converter clutch locks it up so there is no slip.

I don't feel most people need a lock box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
Ok so what is happening when the TC is not locked is the motor not turning the wheels does the TC have to unlock then reengage to shift gears or will it shift gears being locked up the entire time I know this has to be frustrating and difficult trying to explain the simplest of things, it is for me anyhow :confused:

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
The plan is for it to become a weekend warrior at the strip but it's a new truck to me, I know enough to get me in trouble with everything else but the transmission part for whatever reason doesn't click with me

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
This is a pretty good, easy to understand explanation of how a torque converter functions: http://goerend.com/converter-theory/

That helps tremendously thank you all, so here's my 30 second summary tell me if I'm starting to grasp it, the engine drives fluid to the convert the more fluid the faster it turns till it reaches its stall rpm then the converter locks up making it a 1:1 ratio, than as brakes are applied it slows till it is bellow the rpm needed for lock up at which point it unlocks until throttle is applied to once again

So if no throttle is applied then the converter is not locked (such as coasting)

The final question the TC has to unlock to change gears that's the drop in rpm then locks up again after it has picked up the new gear am I correct???

Which means with the alli locker you would have to unlock/lock up the TC when you wanted to change gears???

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Our converters do not unlock until the speed falls below the speed required for unlock depending on vehicle speed and throttle position. It does not unlock for gear changes, and in stock form, it doesn't unlock at 0% throttle until vehicle speed falls to about 40 mph.

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
Our converters do not unlock until the speed falls below the speed required for unlock depending on vehicle speed and throttle position. It does not unlock for gear changes, and in stock form, it doesn't unlock at 0% throttle until vehicle speed falls to about 40 mph.

BOOM:thumb: that's what I needed I'm not saying I'm a expert now but I definitely feel more comfortable with it thank you

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The only time the converter will unlock for a gear change is when down shifter to a lower gear when you hit the throttle to pass someone or race. There is a year that the OS changes for the Tcm and it does not unlock anymore, I just don't remember if it's lly or lbz