Too much timing warning?

MuscleTruck03

Wants a turbo!! or two...
Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
I added a some more fuel to one of my smaller tunes to make it a hotter tune and it ran good but def needs more timing. I added some timing on the top end but now I'm scared to run it :eek: Will I just get a little timing rattle if its too much or just bend rods?? I added a couple degrees but im still not over 28* with 3000pw so I think I should be fine but I guess I'd like to know in general when pushing the limits on timing if you'll just get some rattle or if it instantly bends rods or what?

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
At what RPM do you have 28* with 3000ms? If it is at 3000rpm you wont have rattle and will be fine. Use the timing calculator to figure out your timing it works wonders.

MuscleTruck03

Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
on the fuel pressure base table its 160 from about 2400 rpm up, got on it a quick burst and everything seems ok, have to log it later and see what everything is at

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
K, I was asking cause if u add pressure even though your pw may be 2500 u will get more fuel at say 190mpa, then at 160mpa Just wanted to throw that out there for u.. U should be fine with 160 so I would say it's just needs a tweak in the timing...Good Luck..

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If that's going to hurt you definitely don't run a PPE Hot II plus big tune. The question here on timing also is what RPM's are you going to turn your engine? The more timing you run the harder it is on the internal parts because of cylinder pressures. Yes you make power but it is at a cost. So keep that in mind. Is it worth how much more wear vs. what you get in return. It's not likely you are going to just break it but that is possible.

MuscleTruck03

Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
K, I was asking cause if u add pressure even though your pw may be 2500 u will get more fuel at say 190mpa, then at 160mpa Just wanted to throw that out there for u.. U should be fine with 160 so I would say it's just needs a tweak in the timing...Good Luck..

Thanks for the tips! I know most people are pretty hush hush about any tuning stuff

If that's going to hurt you definitely don't run a PPE Hot II plus big tune. The question here on timing also is what RPM's are you going to turn your engine? The more timing you run the harder it is on the internal parts because of cylinder pressures. Yes you make power but it is at a cost. So keep that in mind. Is it worth how much more wear vs. what you get in return. It's not likely you are going to just break it but that is possible.

I dont run past 3200-3400 tops and I honestly rarely run my hard for more than a couple seconds and even then it's pretty rare just enjoy the challenge of building a max perf. tune. And ya I'm aware, I usually run an economy or "tow" tune because I'm sick of tearing stuff up on my truck haha

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
On my personal truck when it had stock injectors I ran a 3200pw (at the highest) at a 180-190 mpa and 29* timing (no more then that either) made a little over 500 never hurt nothing and didn't rattle the timing calculator does the work for you on the timing for the most part. Also how do you have your fuel coming on?

MuscleTruck03

Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
ya I dyno'd 476 at edge with a 3200pw and 190 mpa tune but it only hit 26* timing. And I dont really know how to explain how I have my fuel coming in haha

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
And I dont really know how to explain how I have my fuel coming in haha

What (I think) he means is do you have your fuel coming in hard down in the lower rpm's or more towards 2500rpm +? Even my big tune on my DSP drives very nice at part throttle, and doesnt start to fuel hard till over 2600rpm.