Tire choices

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
So im gonna be buying some 265's or 285's for drag racing and I trying to decide what would be the best all around tire for daily driving and drag racing. I want them to look good too though. I love the look of mts but I know they arent the best for drag racing. How much would it hurt my 1/4 mile times to go with a toyo mt? I was planning on either the nitto terra grappler or the dune grappler. Who has had good luck with either of these and hows the traction at the strip? Any suggestions are welcome(Although, I dont really wanna buy a separate set of tires for the strip in case someone was gonna sugges that) Thanks

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
the nitto's A/T would be a good choice , i like the dune grapplers but heard they wear out quick , i know a few guys on here have them maybe they will chime in . now way on any M/T... to heavy for strip use .

Last edited:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Mann I love the toyos mts
But if they're too heavy that's that.
I'm curious if the dune grapplers
Are any better than the terra grapplers

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
mann i love the toyos mts
but if they're too heavy that's that.
I'm curious if the dune grapplers
are any better than the terra grapplers

ntwdiesel and mmlmm both are or have ran tHE DUNE GRAPLERS might give them a holler

Last edited:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
you change tires and wheels toooooo much :hug:

:rofl: I cant help it. I gotta change things up. Im about to stick the exhaust out in front of the rear tire and now ill get some new tires and drop it down. That should last me at least a month or so. I may actually keep the motos because they were on your truck and I wanna be as cool as you someday :hug: jk ( I just dont have the cash to switch to some monsters). Wanna trade setups? :D

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
My Toyo AT's have faried well at the track and lasted a life time it seems. They have at least 40k on them and they still look good.

Added to the list of options.

How do they do in the rain? I know its a weird questions but it seems my terra grapplers succkk in the rain. I slide everywhere. Maybe its because they are pretty worn.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Yeah, they are pretty slippery in the wet. Rained today for the first time in weeks and it stepped out a few times on me, one was my fault. ;)

I almost lost it on an on-ramp in the rain once, same situation when it hadn't rained in a over a week.

I'll say that I have to make a conscience effort to not drive like I normally do when it's raining. So the wet traction isn't good.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah, they are pretty slippery in the wet. Rained today for the first time in weeks and it stepped out a few times on me, one was my fault. ;)

I almost lost it on an on-ramp in the rain once, same situation when it hadn't rained in a over a week.

I'll say that I have to make a conscience effort to not drive like I normally do when it's raining. So the wet traction isn't good.

Thats what I figured. I can spin all 4 easy when its rainin. Im pretty sure the terra grapplers will be alot like the toyos. Oh well I live in Texas, rain shouldbt be too big of a probllem

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I run Mastercraft Courser A/T2's. Cut 1.74's with them. A street tire would do better Im sure.
I am a bit biased though, I wont buy any tires that arent made in the USA.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Ok looks like ill be keepin my rims now and buying some 265's or 285's.

What size do you think I should go with? I want the tbars be level and clear the tires

So 285/70r17 or 265/70r17?

And should I go with the Nitto Terra or Dune Grappler?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Ok looks like ill be keepin my rims now and buying some 265's or 285's.

What size do you think I should go with? I want the tbars be level and clear the tires

So 285/70r17 or 265/70r17?

And should I go with the Nitto Terra or Dune Grappler?

my vote would be 265/70R17 terra graplers , although i have been wanting to try the dune graplers , just alot of $ to gamble if they wear poorly . i also really like the bridgestone A/T revo's have no clue how they would do racing but they are a great A/T and wear real well .

Last edited: