LBZ: Time to build the DD

sterlinLBZ

Alright guys this is my first post on here so I figured I would make my first post a good one! So to sum up whats going on my LBZ DD melted the #7 piston:mad: but oh well. now its time to break out the wrenches and get to work.

The build list consists of
- 20 over Forged aluminum de-lipped and valve cut pistons
- Carrillo rods
- ARP main and head studs
- Suncoast flex plate
- Fluid dampeners harmonic balancer
- Hamilton valve springs
- Industrial Inkection stage 1 cam (keyed)
- Keyed crank
- Bored 20 over block, aligned honed, and blue printed
- Hardened push rods
- Htt 66 MM turbo
- ATS dual cp3's
- 45% over injectors
Im sure theres a few things im probably leaving out but that's the majority of it.
Now I have a few questions from some of you that's done a build before. with this cam will I need to change my valve seats, guides, stem seals, retainers or any of that kind of stuff? I don't want to get it back together and find out I need them.

Am I going in the right direction here or am I screwing something up?

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I'm doing pretty much the same build couple different things w fuel and air but same hard parts. I was told by socal not to use forged pistons in a DD because when the engine is not up to operating temp the piston will b loose in the cylinder and will let it rattle around til it warms up and expands. And cold starts will eventually crack the pistons. They advised me to use cut and coated cast pistons.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I agree I wouldn't use forged pistons in a DD unless you don't mind replacing rings every 20K miles. Is there a particular reason you want forged? Cast pistons have been pushed well over 1K HP on numerous trucks.

sterlinLBZ

No real reason other than got them at a good price. I talked to a few peoe around here that's done a few trucks and said they like the aluminum pistons better because the distribute the heat a lot better than steel pistons do and as long as the machinists hone match everything perfectly then I should be fine with them. More than likely wont be a dd to much longer if I buy another truck anyhow. Might look into a little more about the alminum a little deeper tho

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
By all accounts, there aren't steel pistons available for the duramax. I believe you're meaning cast vs forged? These guys are advising against forged aluminum for DD duties and suggesting cast alum pistons. A lot use cut & coated LB7/LLY pistons delipped or new mahle cast pistons.

Need to know more about the cam to know if you need fly cuts. The things you listed (valves, seats, seals, etc.) are typically part of a head rebuild but arent necessarily required for any particular cam.

sterlinLBZ

Didn't mean steel, I was meaning cast. (I'm a welder and when thinking of cast I tho I of steel) just a typo on my part. So am I going to be making a mistake putting forged in instead of cast? My machinest said he really liked the forged better than cast because they don't warp as much...

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I would go w cast. And x2 on the info about the cam no need to cut reliefs in the pistons of u dnt need it but if u dnt have a budget $300 extra to have the cut out isn't goin to hurt anything

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
Like I say if u know ur gone keep goin may as well for $300 more. I've heard that was a good mild cam to run also.

sterlinLBZ

Yea i didnt want to run a giant cam and not be streetable, may have a change of heart on the pistons now, ive talked with several people about the forged some like them most dont for a dd street truck. may try and send them back and swap them for cast if theyll take them back (i hope so cause all im waitin on is rods at this point) lol

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
X7 on the forged. Seen a lot of guys posting about how short the life of the rings will be in a daily driver application. Also wondering why you are only going with a 66? This motor would hold just about anything you throw at it. A 480 over a 66 or a single S472/75 would make more sense to me. I don't want to knock it, but it seems like a bit more research could have been done and you could have saved some cash or made some big power!

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
I'd check out Finger's cast pistons.

I'm very surprised no one has already commented on the Fluid damper. They are not recommended and everyone says to go with the ATI/SoCal.

sterlinLBZ

Probly going to send the pistons back, and the 66 is because i had bought it a while back when i studded it the first time and then i melted the piston. and i went with 66 because one the funds start building back up it will be a bottom charger ;). And as the first choice of the forged i had asked around a few people told me that was what i needed to run in it. now hearing the life of them suck on a DD ill more than likley end up with the cast. wont really be any more money out im gettin some good deals from my buddies shops. They will beat just about anyone's prices and there real good guys to deal with. no to mention he has the worlds fastest M6 c6 Z06 LOL

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
That 366 with a 480 over it would make for a great setup. And a set of fingers cast pistons should hold up to that abuse no problem.