Thinking about moving

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
From a reality standpoint, texas has plenty of jobs in different fields. Weather can suck,no matter where you live. Dfw/austin/houston has major industry. Houston area has the most, hell york, sorry I mean johnson control's is paying way over top dollar for a chiller mechanic in houston. Thats my line of work. Toll roads suck but no state tax comes out of your check. Housing prices are like anywhere else, its all really the same. Guy s in my trade up in new england make 10-20 dollars more an hour but a 200, 000 dollar house here is like 6-700, 000 there. Its all relative.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I hear that all the time. Its the "schit belt" that runs from IL all the way to PA. Don't worry you're not alone with that weather :hug:

When I was in PA for school, everyone talked about how bad the snow was... Right... I drove around in a 2wd S10 with A/Ts and a couple bags of sand :angel:

A good sign, is that if everyone bitches about weather, they don't have much else to complain about :thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
There is a portion of TX called the Hill Country that isn't flat, but its no mountain range neither.

From a Texan born in Galveston I can tell you coastal NC is where it's at buddy. Don't get me wrong I love Texas but you can't beat blue water, white sand beaches and hot, sweet Carolina girls...:D

Not for me 10mins in that cold water I can't move my knees. Clear water means I can see all jellyfish and sharks swimming around me. We have our share of hot women. ;)

Like Matt said you can't beat our housing prices.

D-MaxMike

Jul 26, 2014
Bonney Lake, Wa
I agree, don't move for family. But if you are unhappy with your current state, a move can be a very good thing.

I grew up in CA, and thought it was alright. Then I went to school in AZ, and absolutely loved the freedom, laws, and culture. Said I would never go back to CA. Ended up back in CA for a job, and stuck it out ~2 years. After having tasted real freedom, I couldn't stand it. I moved up to Boise, Idaho, and have loved every minute of it since.

Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state, but the laws, (most) people, and culture are all crap (in my opinion). Idaho (and Arizona) are much better fits for me, and I am glad I decided to move.

We have damn near the same story. Grew up in Cali, left, went back and now live in Bonney Lake, Wa. Love it everyday.

Stay away from Cali, unless your filthy rich, the people, life style, the state is just trash!!!!

I love more country environment, better quality people, easy living, daughters in great school. Imo stay away from high populated areas!!! NC is awesome btw. That's where I wanted to head but wife didn't go for it!!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Stay away from Cali, unless your filthy rich, the people, life style, the state is just trash!!!!
!

I wouldn't go that far, but if you not use to or interested in the lifestyle it will put you off. My first year in Socal was great the rest not so much. I made a ton of $$$ until the economy really took a dump in 06/07. Met a lot of good people and a lot of not so good. I really like going back to see friends, but would never live there again.

Really you need to think of the things in an area that you have to have. Kind of go from there and how far do you really want to be from family. Right now our parents live 14hrs from us and it kind of sucks. At least one of our vacations a year is a trip to see them and that gets kind of old. Not that we don't love to see them, but its a week trip easy to see everyone and its a very busy week.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I left MD for a myriad of reason. I spent most of my childhood in the south like GA, NC, TN. Originally from VA. I L O V E the south but I fell in love with Colorado back in 2011. My brother will settle here after the Navy because his wife is from here. I came here for hunting, fishing, and shooting. Its great when your Sheriff tells the gov he is NOT enforcing any new gun laws. THAT is AMERICA. I live in the beer capital of America and can hunt prairie or mountains on 45 mins notice. I strongly urge you to look ag Colorado. I have a govt job in the city voted #1 in America. Life is GOOS here. 2nd choice is the south. AVOID ATLANTA. Go rural if you go.

The most important thing is DEMOGRAPHICS. Study them. Compare Baltimore County MD to Larimer County CO and you'll get alot of my reasoning.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I haven't seen any mention of Florida, but that's where I'm from and live. While a lot of areas really suck (Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami) there's still a lot of rural left. Our cold weather is 30° for a few days in a row. High today a week before Christmas is 75° I believe. It does get hot in summer though. 90+° with 90+% humidity and not a drop of rain will happen with regularity.
But we are THE beach/water state of the 48. Thousands of lakes and rivers and basically no matter where you are in the state the beach is probably less than 2 hours.
Plus to the best of my knowledge Florida does not do emissions inspections. At least not anywhere remotely close to me.
Getting caught behind an old snow bird putting around in the rain at 20mph is really my biggest gripe.

I do like out west though. We almost packed up and headed out to west Texas/New Mexico/Arizona before I got my new job. And it may still happen one day. But I would definitely miss the sunshine state.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I haven't seen any mention of Florida, but that's where I'm from and live. While a lot of areas really suck (Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami) there's still a lot of rural left. Our cold weather is 30° for a few days in a row. High today a week before Christmas is 75° I believe. It does get hot in summer though. 90+° with 90+% humidity and not a drop of rain will happen with regularity.
But we are THE beach/water state of the 48. Thousands of lakes and rivers and basically no matter where you are in the state the beach is probably less than 2 hours.
Plus to the best of my knowledge Florida does not do emissions inspections. At least not anywhere remotely close to me.
Getting caught behind an old snow bird putting around in the rain at 20mph is really my biggest gripe.

I do like out west though. We almost packed up and headed out to west Texas/New Mexico/Arizona before I got my new job. And it may still happen one day. But I would definitely miss the sunshine state.

There is something about a state where the highest point in it is a highway over pass that gives me pause, plus like Texas there are big mofuk snakes and some big ass boot leather critters that will eat you. The hurricanes tend to be frequent as well. If the global warming idiots are somehow right it will all be underwater pretty soon anyway. Does have some seriously hot women however.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
If you like nasty humid 100°+ summers and below 0° winters come on down to southern Indiana lol.
No thank you! Lol
We have damn near the same story. Grew up in Cali, left, went back and now live in Bonney Lake, Wa. Love it everyday.

I love more country environment, better quality people, easy living, daughters in great school. Imo stay away from high populated areas!!! NC is awesome btw. That's where I wanted to head but wife didn't go for it!!
Never been to Cali, but from what I've seen and heard I agree with you. NC is one of the top on my list.
I left MD for a myriad of reason. I spent most of my childhood in the south like GA, NC, TN. Originally from VA. I L O V E the south but I fell in love with Colorado back in 2011. My brother will settle here after the Navy because his wife is from here. I came here for hunting, fishing, and shooting. Its great when your Sheriff tells the gov he is NOT enforcing any new gun laws. THAT is AMERICA. I live in the beer capital of America and can hunt prairie or mountains on 45 mins notice. I strongly urge you to look ag Colorado. I have a govt job in the city voted #1 in America. Life is GOOS here. 2nd choice is the south. AVOID ATLANTA. Go rural if you go.

The most important thing is DEMOGRAPHICS. Study them. Compare Baltimore County MD to Larimer County CO and you'll get alot of my reasoning.
Sounds awesome, I'm may be taking a trip out there after the holidays to visit a old friend. Thanks for all the great info guys!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You can partake in the Wackyweed in CO too. Of course maybe thats why its got so many people that like it there. Once your there you don't know any better. Your to busy trying to find your car because you got the munchies.:D

Last edited:

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
You can partake in the Wackyweed in CO too. Of course maybe thats why it got so people that like. Once your there you don't know any better. Your to busy trying to find your car because you got the munchies.:D

Actually most towns voted to not have the sale of recreational marijuana be legal. You'll find it in Denver and select other places but by no means is it like TV tells you. CO is not the only state with legal MJ anymore anyway. It is a non issue up here in the North.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Actually most towns voted to not have the sale of recreational marijuana be legal. You'll find it in Denver and select other places but by no means is it like TV tells you. CO is not the only state with legal MJ anymore anyway. It is a non issue up here in the North.

Oh thanks, but I guessing you can still smoke it state wide? Just no dealing in some/most cities.

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
NC ain't bad. I live at the foot of the mountains and can be at some pretty nice beaches in 4 and a half hours or so. I've never been anywhere much, so I don't have much to compare it to. I like KY pretty good too.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
NC ain't bad. I live at the foot of the mountains and can be at some pretty nice beaches in 4 and a half hours or so. I've never been anywhere much, so I don't have much to compare it to. I like KY pretty good too.

KY is beautiful country. NC as well. OP if you go NC just check demographics. Some parts are getting a little ahem..sketchy lately. I have relatives all over the south. Atlanta is particularly bad. Macon used to be nice.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Main problem with all the states east of the rockies is the damn ticks and chiggers, also the humidy and the violent weather. No thanks, I'll stay in the Northwest east of the cascades and west of the Rockies, mostly dry & sunny, much calmer weather, and hardly any ticks an no chiggers.