Thinking about making a change.

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
Possibly in the market for an 08-14 Duramax. Currently i have an 01 F250. Looking for information on the problems of the Dmax. The one that scares me the most is the broke crankshaft. Not trying to spend 40K and have to put a motor in it. Any information would be great. Thanks

mebob2001

Oct 31, 2014
Riverview, new brunswick
Broken cranks is something that is caused by your right foot. Good tuning and proper maintace goes a long ways. I would look for an 09 or 10 lmm. Very very depeable truck. Ye fuel milage isn't the best because of the dpf. But good creature comforts. Nice ride. Pulls really good. The 11 to 13s have Def issues. But are all special coverage by GM for 120k miles. If u plan on deleting I would get a 2010 remove dpf and get good.milage and lots of power. But remember you pay to.play u stay on bigger tunes and shit can break

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That's not true. Bone stock trucks have broken cranks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
Yeah i've heard with both stock and modded that there's a chance of the crank breaking. I would delete the DEF but leave the power lever stock if possible. I'm not a racer or anything, just wanting a nice dependable truck.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Nothing like a good tow tune with turbo brake. A nice mild single tune from a good tuner and you can run that forever

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
Broken cranks are 1% or less of all the Duramax trucks on the road, don't even let that be a deciding factor

Yeah, it's just a little unnerving to hear about failures like that. I know all diesels have their issues buy my old 7.3 has been hard to beat for reliability.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Yeah, it's just a little unnerving to hear about failures like that. I know all diesels have their issues buy my old 7.3 has been hard to beat for reliability.

You will wonder why you haven't bought a duramax in the winter months, those 7.3s and cold natured.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
You will wonder why you haven't bought a duramax in the winter months, those 7.3s and cold natured.

I love my 97 7.3. Being down here in Texas may not get to cold but plugging it in anything below 35* and it's good. Coldest it's been is 14* and starts fine. Good little work truck that I don't have to worry about getting beat up.

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
Not too cold around here. We see the teens some in the winter but she does pretty good.

mebob2001

Oct 31, 2014
Riverview, new brunswick
That's not true. Bone stock trucks have broken cranks too

Yes bone stock cranks break but it's your right foot that usually causes that. Don't get me wrong poor castings do happen and bad balancers cause broken cranks..
But tuned ones break more often it all depends what u do with the engine

mebob2001

Oct 31, 2014
Riverview, new brunswick
Oh tou want dependable get a 6.0l or 6.4l!
But for sure you will love a duramax. But any diesel is a risk you never know what will happen. I tell most guys that any truck can cost u 4 to 5 grand at some point in its life

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
Oh tou want dependable get a 6.0l or 6.4l!
But for sure you will love a duramax. But any diesel is a risk you never know what will happen. I tell most guys that any truck can cost u 4 to 5 grand at some point in its life

Yeah Yeah on the 6.0 and 6.4. That's the reason I've been looking at a Duramax.

Has anybody tried this kit for the counterbalance?

http://empire-performance.com/empire-performance-engineering-crank-shaft-pin-kit.php

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
A lot of people have. It does work to help with any potential crank-pin failure if you cant pull the engine or arent going to tear it down.=. Most of the guys here who've built their engines have already keyed their cam and crank.

MotoC

Dec 20, 2016
A lot of people have. It does work to help with any potential crank-pin failure if you cant pull the engine or arent going to tear it down.=. Most of the guys here who've built their engines have already keyed their cam and crank.

Sorry, i'm new to the Duramax world